Ford Expedition - towing 6000+ lb travel trailer?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You never base a tow vehicle on towing dry weight You always want to use the Gross Weight rating of the Trailer and compare that to what the Tow Vehicle is rated to tow. and also what the cargo capacity of the Tow Vehicle is.

With out looking up the ratings and from experience your expy should handle that RV with no problem

In addition to the brake controller you will want a good weight distribution hitch and sway control

Gamecock

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You never base a tow vehicle on towing dry weight You always want to use the Gross Weight rating of the Trailer and compare that to what the Tow Vehicle is rated to tow. and also what the cargo capacity of the Tow Vehicle is.

With out looking up the ratings and from experience your expy should handle that RV with no problem

In addition to the brake controller you will want a good weight distribution hitch and sway control

Yep.

You should never pull with full tanks either, distribute weight correctly, know hitch weight, etc... I'm **** when it comes to doing stuff right so I'll make sure I know all the ends and outs. With my family of 4 and the trailer I know the Expo can handle it all no problem.

My parents are now hating the fact they sold me their Expo, but I'm not giving it back! So they are currently shopping for a new one in the ATL area. A 2500 truck would be the way to go, but they want an SUV so...

B-McD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I pull a 30' Apex travel trailer with my 2016. The specs say 7600 GVWR. I use an Equalizer WD hitch. No issues whatsoever. It gets it up and rolling better than my son-in-law's F150 with the 5.4 V8. Once you save that trailer setup in the Expedition, it knows your brake bias, etc. Pretty cool.

Reaction score
Here's the travel trailer I tow. 2017 Grand Design Imagine 2800BH. 6204 dry, GVWR of 7495. It tows well. I can get up to speed pretty easily without putting the pedal to the metal. I definitely know the trailer is back there though. The integrated electronic brake controller is real easy to use. The WDH I have on it is a Blue Ox Sway Pro which does a really good
keeping the trailer in line when cruising down the highway at 55 - 6020170320_140105.jpg and getting the wind kicked up from vehicles passing.

Dean Stamper

Reaction score
Here's the travel trailer I tow. 2017 Grand Design Imagine 2800BH. 6204 dry, GVWR of 7495. It tows well. I can get up to speed pretty easily without putting the pedal to the metal. I definitely know the trailer is back there though. The integrated electronic brake controller is real easy to use. The WDH I have on it is a Blue Ox Sway Pro which does a really good
keeping the trailer in line when cruising down the highway at 55 - 60View attachment 19848 and getting the wind kicked up from vehicles passing.

Michael,

Do you use any kind of auto leveling system on your Expedition when you tow this trailer?

Thanks!