Ford recalls about 350,000 F-150s and Expeditions for faulty transmission gears

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2 recalls going on here for 2018 regarding transmission. Main one is a cable end. I'm surprised there is even a cable. Sort of expected a servo motor attached to the transmission with wires somehow routed to the loved/hated rotary-knob-omatic.

The headline is annoyingly misleading. A possibly improperly installed clip that holds a cable end isn't exactly a gear.

Also recalled for the same reason are a handful of 2018 F650/F750 with 6-speed autos.

Only 161 Expeditions/F150/Mustangs/Navigators are affected by the roll-pin recall, which requires a 5-minute visual inspection of the park pawl. No pin? They'll drop one in place.

Last edited:

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
In a very short period of time, four safety recalls have been issued for the 2018 Ford Expediton.

I bought a new 2015 Expedition Limited 4x4, my first Ford in over four decades of driving and ownership, partially based upon the massive number of safety recalls being issued by GM.

The number of safety recalls for the 2018 model is worrisome - it is clear that quality control has taken a backseat at Ford on this new model.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In today’s world manufacturers are quick to make it a recall for liability reasons, they make even the smallest thing knowledge to the public nowadays, this doesn’t mean quality control is sacrificed. I agree with Flexpeditions sentiment on the headline which states “Ford Recalls F-150/Expedition for faulty Transmission Gears” which is totally falsified and untrue.

NASCAR Mike

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I always set the parking brake in all my cars. I would rather the parking brake keep the car in place than the parking pawl. Have you seen how small that thing is?

In fact I set the parking brake while in neutral first so there is zero load on the parking pawl.

edizzle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I always set the parking brake in all my cars. I would rather the parking brake keep the car in place than the parking pawl. Have you seen how small that thing is?

In fact I set the parking brake while in neutral first so there is zero load on the parking pawl.
Yep!

jgudnason

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Ditto. (well almost.. i apply park brake before removing my foot from brake)

couple times i put it in park, forget to apply parking brake, and the vehicle does that small movement and bounce on the pawl, makes me shudder.

deweysmith

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Same, but only on inclines typically.

Also, parking pawls are small but the wheel they drop into is large so they have a big mechanical advantage.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My truck is clearly within the parameters of this recall (it was built in January) but it is not showing up as being affected when I run the VIN through Ford's recall check site. So I contacted Ford and this is the response I got:

"Upon research, your vehicle is currently not affected by any recalls at this time. It appears your vehicle is within the guidelines for affected vehicles pertaining to recalls 18S09/18S10. Please keep in mind that since your vehicle meets the criteria, it can be identified at any point in time, but we here in the Customer Relationship Center have no way to determine when this will happen. Once identified, you will receive notification by mail with instructions. Please feel free to visit us periodically to check for updates. I hope this information helps."

So........I guess I will just wait and see if they send me a postcard. Or just have the dealer take a look when I go in for my first oil change.

edizzle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My truck is clearly within the parameters of this recall (it was built in January) but it is not showing up as being affected when I run the VIN through Ford's recall check site. So I contacted Ford and this is the response I got:

"Upon research, your vehicle is currently not affected by any recalls at this time. It appears your vehicle is within the guidelines for affected vehicles pertaining to recalls 18S09/18S10. Please keep in mind that since your vehicle meets the criteria, it can be identified at any point in time, but we here in the Customer Relationship Center have no way to determine when this will happen. Once identified, you will receive notification by mail with instructions. Please feel free to visit us periodically to check for updates. I hope this information helps."

So........I guess I will just wait and see if they send me a postcard. Or just have the dealer take a look when I go in for my first oil change.
Same here

mssbf2011

Reaction score

If you've setup your truck in the Ford app, it will let you know when a recall has been issued for your specific vehicle. I have my other car, Fusion, in the app and it let me know almost immediately when they issued the recall on the fact my steering wheel might come off :emotions34: