Found where noise was coming from.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GaExpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Last couple of weeks I have been hearing a light "tinking" sound when going over bumps with my windows down. After looking several times, I finally found the source. The front sway bar connections on both sides are VERY loose. Both bolts have at least 2 to 3 inches of play in them, but the nylon nuts have not loosened any. I assume there should there be some kind of hard rubber pieces there, but they have rotted away and fallen off. Any brands you guys recommend or stay away from? Attached a couple pics in case they help someone in the future.

Attachments

• 2013-09-29_17-56-02_713.jpg
    2013-09-29_17-56-02_713.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 133
  • 2013-09-29_17-56-44_649.jpg
    2013-09-29_17-56-44_649.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:

JUST4FUN

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Yep, the links are bad the bushings are gone , just go to the parts store and buy the front sway bar links. They come in a kit

OP
OP
G

GaExpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks, I finally found a picture for reference. Can't believe I didn't notice this the first few times I gave it a once over. This probably explains the front end roll-over I've noticed lately. Anyways, any brand recommendations?

Attachments

• 37619909_299513_full.jpg
    37619909_299513_full.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
Energy.

Just don't over tighten them. The washers can bite through the urethane and destroy themselves very quickly.

While you're at it, you should check all the rear linkage bushings. Energy makes urethane replacement for all of them.

JUST4FUN

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks, I finally found a picture for reference. Can't believe I didn't notice this the first few times I gave it a once over. This probably explains the front end roll-over I've noticed lately. Anyways, any brand recommendations?
If you want just better than syock then go with moog or go with energy, tighten them till the bushing is the same size as the washer and your done

expydaddy

Reaction score
I just did mine this weekend when I replaced my hub. It's pretty easy to do. If I am thinking correctly the torque setting is 16lbs. Once you remove the old ones, jack the front end up. Then once you place everything on the bottom and middle, let the front end down and the top part of the link should go right through the top hole. Then if you have clearance issues with the washer and top nut. put the bushing on and the nut and tighten a little to drive the bushing down some. Then Back off the top nut, install washer and re-tighten loosely. Do the same for the other side. then torque both sides. If you torque the one side first you will have a heck of a time trying to get the other side top screw in place. Hope this helps.

shadow460

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yep, easy install. Just watch out that you don't pinch your fingers with the sway bar. I used the basic O'Reilly ones and they work fine. They cost me a bit over $20 for the pair. It made a drastic improvement in how my truck handles.

The Pawnbroker

Reaction score
I always replace the bushings that go around the sway bar where it attaches to the frame also. I just ordered this kit from Amazon. One issue I found. When I got a set from my local auto parts store, they were way too small. My sway bar is vary large in diameter. I ended up having to order the 33mm kit. I think this is because I have the "No Boundaries" option.

OP
OP
G

GaExpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Finally had the time to put the new end links on this afternoon, and W O W what a difference in handling! Hopefully this will be the last thing I have to fix on this thing, and I can enjoy driving it for a while.