Freshen Her Up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hammerg26

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had to put about $1000 in the truck (chose to go to shop - time value of money and all) at the end of 2016... but have not had a car payment in three years... I hope I can continue that trend...
1999 with 167k.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm not sure about the 3.5 eco boost. I hear problems with carbon building up on the valves. Some people put a catch can on the truck but that will void the warranty.

When you consider the price of the new Expy the $5000 you put in the truck seems like a bargain.

Modern street lebal turbo 6 cylinders with half-decent power ALL get fouled up w/ CBU... it's due to some questionable design choices pretty much mandated by CARB and the EPA (more sensible motor designs aren't compliant anymore)

eluther3

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Don't fell like you need to replace the truck just because of the age. I have a 97 with almost 300K miles on it. Yes, I have had to put some money into the truck, the truck has been reilable and the maintenance costs have not been unreasonable. Even with a chronic CEL issue and I drive it on a regular basis. I am considering replacing the engine because I would have to pay big bucks for a new truck with the same towing features.

BTW - I may be have a different perspective than you because my wife drives a 2011 BMW with about 60K miles on it and it's already been in the shop for multiple major and minor repairs. Had this not been under a CPO warranty, I would have spent considerably more on repairs than I have for my old truck.

John Christopher

Full Access Members
Reaction score
eluther3 I know what your saying about the durability of the truck. I've owned it for 7 years and it has been very good to me. It only left me stuck one time because of a rusted out break line. All the fluid leaked out and I had no breaks. I had to have it towed to my mechanic and repaired.

It happened at a boat launch ramp when retrieving a 21' boat. I called Boat US and they sent a flatbed. The truck was put on the flatbed with the boat towed behind. I was actually lucky that it happened there instead of driving at 65 mph. The tow was $430 but it didn't cost me anything except a tip to the driver. If you tow a boat they are great.

Your 97 with 300,000 miles says a lot. Thanks

grantpa

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'd agree with most everything said here-"if it ain't broke...."! I also have an '00 EB/4.6 with 177K in almost pristine (for it's age) condition. All power/elec works. I've had to replace COP's and boots, but plugs were in outstanding condition. If I were you, and you were NOT the last person to give it a tune-up, I'd pull the plugs, check their condition, APPLY ANTI-SIEZE, and torque 'em to 20-22lbs/ft. I'd also check those coils for arcing, cracks, the usual. Replace the boots while you're in there and call 'er good. Good luck!

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Don't fell like you need to replace the truck just because of the age. I have a 97 with almost 300K miles on it. Yes, I have had to put some money into the truck, the truck has been reilable and the maintenance costs have not been unreasonable. Even with a chronic CEL issue and I drive it on a regular basis. I am considering replacing the engine because I would have to pay big bucks for a new truck with the same towing features.

BTW - I may be have a different perspective than you because my wife drives a 2011 BMW with about 60K miles on it and it's already been in the shop for multiple major and minor repairs. Had this not been under a CPO warranty, I would have spent considerably more on repairs than I have for my old truck.

I got a 2011 bmw too....335d

164k mi on the bimmer
166k mi on the expy (mine's an '09 tho)

Gotta say the Ford seems a LOT more sturdy and reliable with that mileage... annoying little glitches like rear A/C blenders notwithstanding.

Doesn't overheat... doesn't burn oil...doesn't vibrate like a ****....

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Overall the first gens are the best as far as issues. The only biggie is the lack of spark plug threads. They have a drain able transmission/torque convertor, and other things the later ones don't. Their not as fast, not as trick, but overall the most reliable. I'd just do the oil/ trans services and other items as needed. The truck is paid for, enjoy it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk