Fridge replacement time......

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by jeff kushner, Jun 12, 2018 at 9:48 AM.

1. jeff kushner

jeff kushner Full Access Members

As a few of you might remember, my current refrigerator is 46 years old it was in the house when I bought it....an Amana 22 or whatever it is. It has never been serviced that I can tell, never failed to work BUT being 46 years old, I knew I was on borrowed time with it.

There are only two ways this can go....1 is to wait until it dies then scramble as meat defrosts, milk spoils as I try to fit everything into coolers until a new fridge is delivered, installed and run long enough to cool down....

OR

I can set my own timeline and buy one now, get it in and fired up, then transfer my things over.....ZERO STRESS!

BINGO!

I find the best Memorial Day price I can for the model I want...THEN go shopping! The Whirlpool model I wanted was $2,200 list, $1,799 locally at Lowes on sale but then there's 6% tax.....drumroll please,

Purchased for $1,529....NO TAX, FREE SHIPPING!!

Ta da!

jeff

2. stamp11127

stamp11127 Super Moderator Staff Member

Fast forward 5 years...the Amana is still working and the Wonderpool has had multiple service calls for crap seals, updated drawer rails and icemakers that don't last.
    I'm currently on that road.

JExpedition07 likes this.
  3. jeff kushner

Unfortunately, your predictions may be more accurate than not. Current Industry longevity for Fridges is 12-17 yrs......and you and I both know that's optimistic at best !

I have been very fortunate though....I bought my first home in 1985....and including this one, have bought 3 refrigerators along with all the other appliances over the years and I've NEVER had one break. Never....

jeff

4. Clemson82

Clemson82 Full Access Members

The newer ones probably do not last as long, BUT, now anyone can repair their own refrigerator or other appliance for the cost of the parts. I don't purchase warranties on appliances anymore. You can find repair videos on YouTube and order the parts on E-bay. Way cheaper than the cost of warranties and service calls. I never thought I would be able to replace an ice maker, but it literally took 20 minutes and cost 1/10th of the service call price. The warranty costs are absurd.
    So who knows, maybe you can get 46 year out of it!

5. stamp11127

Yes and no. They are not made with service ports like the autos are if you need to check refrigerant level or system pressures. If you need to check pressures then you are adding the taps. The remaining parts are available but I differ with you on the need of the service agreement.

Our LG washer failed from being worn out basically. New clutch, pump and solenoid. Parts would have been around $350.
    Whirlpool refrigerator, we are now going on the 3rd icemaker at $170 each, freezer door seals failed to seal, drawer slide "froze" up. Didn't get the cost on them but I'd guess around $250 for all of it.
    LG refrigerator turned into LG freezer - they tossed parts at it, came to the conclusion that it wasn't repairable - here is your money back to the tune of $2500.

So I'm a believer just from the point that the hardware isn't as robust as the old American manufacturing standards.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018 at 7:56 PM
    lvcjt702 likes this.
  6. JExpedition07

JExpedition07 Elite Member Supporting Member

Jeff keep that old fridge at least in your garage...... it likely will still be running when the whirlpool fails and that way you can put your things into it while you wait for a replacement whirlpool. Some of these parts in new fridges are designed to have a 90% failure rate before they hit ten years. It’s engineering in failure points....something we didn’t do in the 50s and 60s.

7. stamp11127

Well here we go on ice maker #3 and a water valve. The latest tech has said the same as the previous tech from another company on Friday.
    Your water pressure is too low. Your water flow from the door is way off. It has been that way since day one. We are on a well with lower water pressure. I asked him how the original ice maker was able to make ice on the same low water pressure. We have 35psi of water pressure - Stare.....

When did you change the filter? Recently - and there is a whole house filter prior to the one in the refrigerator. So it isn't clogged up.

He then says that the low pressure is keeping it from making ice. I replied - Is there a float system to tell the ice maker when to stop filling the tray? No, it is timed, doesn't have a sensor. Ok, then why isn't it making smaller ice cubes instead of the normal sized ice cubes and completing the cycle? Stare.....

I showed him that by moving the lever all the way down it does make ice, but you have to do it each cycle. Well I have another ice maker on order along with the water valve. Ok....

We also have the new version of ice trays in the freezer. Thin plastic that will probably break after a few uses.

Not picking on the tech, it just goes to show you that the "technician" of today isn't schooled on how things operate. They are only taught to change parts.

8. jeff kushner

Wow Stamp, all of Murphy's law happening in the same home....

I agree that parts are available in various brick/mortar stores around the country...Tribbles around DC/Balt or online...and if you've got half a brain, you can figure it out but Stamp is right that the actual processes or solutions used to manufacture today require or result in weaker less robust assemblies with hundreds of parts. The door on that LG fridge has something like 600 parts...600! The piece that fails is a pin-like structure buried under 220 others parts....it costs 4 bucks.....BUT and you know the rest.

Out of the "things we buy"..while there have been amazing improvements I've witnesses over the years....cars that routinely go 300K, phones that nearly never break, computers that run longer than the operating system it contains.....then WHY ARE APPLIANCES, ACROSS THE BOARD, CRAP?

I know, I used my outside voice, but it's also true....doesn't matter if you spend 2 grand or 5 grand(my senior estimator did) or even 10 for a fridge(my bro in law did)...it's a crap machine because the QC on the supply side, sucks, non-existent. Every appliance, regardless of type is built to a price-point, be it low or high but they share basic component parts such as pumps, seal suppliers, housing suppliers, controls suppliers and there's where most issues are. I purposely avoided and digital controls and touchscreens. I wanted basic analog controls and just hope & pray on the rest!

My estimator bought his wife of 30 some years, the Samsung with the cameras and door panel. He's one of the most talented refrigeration guys in the entire DC area. He was in the field for 40 years as the guy that would tell other smart fact tech guys from various companies what was REALLY wrong with the machine they had failed at repairing......and he knows this machine will fail much sooner than his old one would have....he just knows. He chalks it up to being Superman to his wife.

I did not 100% buy my new fridge for me although I did decide not to play russian roulette anymore with the old one...chances are very good that I'll sell my home in a year or so.....so I bought a fridge partially for the wife of the guy that's going to buy it!

Stamp, good luck with those machines. I am a plumber by trade and I can tell you that 35 is low, even for a well. How deep is your well and is your pump in it or in the house? I am also on a well, approx 100' deep with a submersible pump and I run my pressures at 50-68. Yes, I live alone and that makes a big difference since my pump isn't cycling anywhere near as often as it would for a family. Yes, the IM should work at 35psi, it would just make smaller sized cubes.
    jeff

9. stamp11127

The well is about 35 feet deep, using a jet pump that is undersized - 1hp about 60 feet from the house. That is the way these rednecks built the house. I'm waiting for it to take a crap then upgrade to a real manly pump - a Binford Model in Blue (Tim Allen). The only thing that concerns me is that the depth of the water is about 5 feet the last time I checked it. If I pull two to threes time the water out of it, will it replenish fast enough?

After a while you get used to the lower pressure and find it rather soothing in the shower, similar to a warm Florida rain shower.

Every time we are on vacation, I am blasted out of the shower at motels.

10. jeff kushner

Remember the jet powered lawn tractor his had on the show? I got a picture of it as it sat in the props department once when I took a trip out there.....MORE POWER, ugh ugh!

Yeah, no.....a 1hp jet at it's limit of 30+ feet of head(loss of approx 15PSI) is a bit of a stretch but if only you and your sweetheart, it would prob be ok if a 1" ID line was installed from the well. I ran into the replenishment issue once when the county dropped 3-10" wells 1 miles from my house for the local schools. I was no longer able to run my underground sprinklers for hours on end switching zones on the fly.....but had to reprogram for 1 hour intervals. You will want to know how much water is above your inlet and how much below. You generally want to be 3-5 feet off the bottom of a well that has a wellpoint with screen.

jeff