Front diff, gear oil seal is leaking, How do i replace it

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

newtral

Reaction score
My 1999 4x4 expedition is running great but i noticed i had a front diferential oil leak coming from the left side right next to the axle (GREEN ARROW) and it can be moved a little bit from side to side

Now i can disasemble everything else , but will this part just pull out ( RED AROW)? Is the seal accesible? i read i may need a special tool for the new seal instalation.

I will apreciate any help or even tutorials anyone can give me i plan on doing this myself but im afraid once i have everything out i wont be able to instal / remove the old seal.
my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

Grasshopper

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Unless you have the tools to set up the gears after replacing the seal, I'd suggest dropping it off at a differential shop and having them fix it. Messing with drive gears is a very exact process. You don't wanna mess that up by just doing it yourself to save money.

Trust me....

OP
OP
N

newtral

Reaction score
I didnt think i had to actually fully open it, i thought it would be like other seals, Thanks !

Grasshopper

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Oh...my bad. I didn't look at the picture hard enough.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure if that seal is accessible. I would think that you would want to be real careful and putting the new seal in (if in fact you can) so that it won't leak again.

Maybe someone else will chime in...

bkw1

Reaction score
I just changed mine last fall, same problem. You need to remove the drive shaft. Then a puller to get the universal joint recieving yoke off the pinion shaft. There is a tool for pulling the pinion seal. I used a screw driver but you need to be real carful if using a screw driver so as to not damage any metal surfaces. You lubricate the new seal and install gently with a rubber malet. Universal joint yoke gets reinstalled on the pinion shaft and tourqued to the proper resistance. I would have to look up the torque spec, just don't remember at this time. Then reinstall drive shaft. I also changed the fluid in the reaar while I was at it. My pumpkin cover had significant rust so I sanded it and repainted it. If you don't do this make sure you top off the rear end fluid. Ring and pinion lash setting should not be affected as you are not replacing bearings and shims, those remain the same. Good luck