front diff operation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ddgts68

Reaction score
Can someone explain/ point me to a video on how the front diff works on 99 xlt 5'4l 4wd? I did a search only find how to change fluid. I have the Haynes/ Chilton ( I don't remember which) manual and It explains how my f150 works (vacuum modulator on front diff) but it's not setup that way on exp!!

toomanytoys

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes it is. It uses a push/pull vac operated solenoid to engage/disengage the front drive. Unless of course yours is awd. Then the front drive would be always engaged

5starChad

Reaction score
Yes it is. It uses a push/pull vac operated solenoid to engage/disengage the front drive. Unless of course yours is awd. Then the front drive would be always engaged

This is correct. The solenoids are on the passenger side firewall above the ECU.

OP
OP
D

ddgts68

Reaction score
I do not have the solenoids or any sort of vacuum operated push/ pull device. I do on my 97 f150. That's my question I don't have any of that. The switch in truck says A4wd/4hi/4lo. does that mean there is some sort of limited slip in the front diff?

ogre20012001

Reaction score
Your frond diff is always engaged.
It doesn’t have the disconnect like your f-150 has.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
D

ddgts68

Reaction score
Wouldn't there have to be some sort of slip or brake in the diff to be able to turn with out binding and such/

and0r

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i seriously doubt the front diff would always be engaged, that doesn't sound right

toomanytoys

Full Access Members
Reaction score
In a awd system the drive is split around 35/65 front rear. More drive is applied to the front wheels through the transfer case when rear wheel slip occurs. The front diff is always active hence no vacuum solenoid to engage or disengage

5starChad

Reaction score
Yea if you don't have the 2wd option on your switch it's always engaged. I didn't notice you had a 99. I believe only 97-98 had that.

OP
OP
D

ddgts68

Reaction score
Thanks, I was going to change fluid and don't know if I will need to add a modifier also.