front diff operation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
D

ddgts68

Reaction score
Didn't now we had owners manual. Have control trac system. It does not say to add anything other 75/90 oil. Also does not say to add modifier to rear either!

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Friction additive is for rear differential. Most Expeditions use a limited slip rear differential that requires it, along with the proper weight and type. I believe short of finding it on the internet, the additive is dealer only purchase.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
D

ddgts68

Reaction score
Yea I put it in the rear diff, owners manual doesn't say to put in the rear diff either. Previous owner removed front driveshaft because of a front abs sensor going bad. Since I believe I fixed the shudder problem,(believe it had something to do with drive shaft) was going to reinstall front drive shaft after changing fluid.

OP
OP
D

ddgts68

Reaction score
Put shaft in today, had it on jacks and front diff would engage about 10 mph. Made all kinds of noise engaging and disengaging probably because it was in air ( no load). Has a slight vibration on deceleration and steering feels heavier but seems to be working. Now I need to find some dirt!

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Check your door sticker, if you have the limited slip then yes to the additive. If not then I'm assuming not. Anyone else want to comment on that.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Look at the tag on the rear differential, it will say 3L73 or whatever gear ratio it is. Being yours is a Awd setup, its very doubtful that it's not limited slip. If the tag doesn't have a L in-between the gear ratio, its standard, and not limited slip. Hope that helps.

OP
OP
D

ddgts68

Reaction score
Yea I got the rear done and added the modifier. Was trying to figure out the front since I see no obvious sign of a break in the front axle. Didn't know if it had some sort of limited slip in it?