Front end hop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

oldtimer

Reaction score
I have a 99’ EB Expedition, When I get to 63mph the front end starts to hop. After 68 mph it is okay. Seems to be on both sides not only on one. About 6 months ago I had one of the right front ball joints replaced. This did seem to help a little but did not completely correct the problem. I just got it back from the shop. The mechanics are unable to locate the problem they say the front end is tight and the tires are wearing correctly. They want to try replacing the front shocks. In my experience if the shocks are bad they will start to hop after hitting a bump or pothole not when you hit a specific speed. I however am not familiar with the newer suspensions. What do you think any input would be appreciated .

99’ Ford Expedition EB
4x4 AWD
5.4 Triton
Goodyear Wranglers
109k miles
:shootout:

Rfreels

Reaction score
Ditto on bad balance, try rotating tires and see what happens.

toocivil

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ditto on the tire balance as well. Another option would be to check the tire pressure. This can cause a wobble/bounce at certain speeds. Also if your in the market for tires I would not put the Goodyears on again. Try the Bridgestone Dueller A/T. They're a much better tire. Price wise they're about the same as the Goodyears.

jimboh247

Reaction score
Not to get off the subj,ect, but I've got 55000 miles on my set of Goodyears. BUT, I've heard that they are notorious for causing thumps, bangs and bumps. Try rotating them. If the bump moves to the back, you know it's a tire.