Front heater lukewarm rear heater HOT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nerdwrench87

Reaction score
So I am now looking to improve neglected things on this expy, and the heater is one of them. The front heater blows lukewarm, but the rear blows HOT.
The front feels pretty warm on low, but when you turn up the fan it cools down.
The rear blows hotter on high than the front does on low.

I have never seen the rear A/C work in the 10+ years my family has owned this truck, so I'm not sure of the rear blend door or anything. Heck, I don't even know if the XLT had a rear A/C in 01. I do know that it goes from ambient to hot.

Before I replaced the motor, I was driving with a blown head gasket for years. Before I had drilled the T-stat (yes I replaced it), I tried various 'miracle in a can' type solutions. I wonder if that maybe clogged the core... but then how would that have not clogged the rear as well?

Any thoughts?

*I just checked out the rear AC lines. it switches from the roof to the floor properly. from the floor, the air is noticeably cooler than from the roof. the ac line is freezing cold, and the one next to it and on the other side of the gold motor box is warm. *

So I think I am facing an issue with the front heater core, rather than anything in the rear..

Last edited: