Front shock lower bolt size

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tedstech

Reaction score
Does anyone know the size of the lower front shock bolt to a 2006 navigator. Thanks in advance.

MWguns

Reaction score
I know on my 2004 a 30mm deepwell fits, but has just a very small amount of play around it. Its not enough for it to be an issue or to strip though. I had a 30mm deep well impact socket on there and torqued it to spec just fine.

Edit: had to fix a few mistakes so it did not look like i had a stroke half way thru. Gotta love talk to text. Lol

Last edited:

Jeff55v

Reaction score
My Expy is older than yours, and it had been molested a lot. Many of the suspension bolts (including shock bolts) had been replaced with the wrong diameter bolts. Someone removed the metric size bolts and installed SAE bolts. This caused a lot of suspension noise.
I can’t remember exactly the diameter of the lower shock bolts, but I know they are definitely metric.

0608expy

Reaction score
Did front quick strut replacements last week on my 06 and it is a 30 mm deep. And you need a 21 mm deep for the tie rod end.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I can’t remember exactly the diameter of the lower shock bolts, but I know they are definitely metric.

Everything on stock Fords is metric.

That said, some American aftermarket parts like top strut mounts may be SAE if they've been replaced

PS ~however~, with big-ass bolts like 30mm the metric/SAE distinction becomes moot... if you can't find a 30mm deep impact socket, 1 - 3/16" deep impact will do JUST FINE.

Also, not sure if this is the case for you, but afair on my 3rd gen the other side of the nut/bolt pair that needed the 30mm was a 27mm... this too is also approximated just fine with a 1 - 1/16" SAE socket.

If you're having trouble finding them, SEARS is one of the few brick and mortar shops that still stocks a variety of socket singles past 20 mm and 1".... They had something that worked out every time when I needed 27mm, 30mm deep, 32mm, and 36mm.

However, even their selection is dwindling, so if you're not willing to spring for a large expensive socket set, you'll often have to go to a SAE approximation of metric or get something not as deep as you wouldve liked and/or non-impact....