Fuel Gauge and Trip Computer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mlw734

Reaction score
Within the last year, I had my malfunctioning fuel pump replaced on my 2002 Expedition. I began having problems with fuel gauge only registering 3/4 with a full tank, however; my trip computer (console in head liner) was fairly accurate and the electronic odometer still worked, so I did not worry about running to empty. Although pump was under warranty, dealer wanted $400 to replace. Already paid $800 for new part and labor. So I chose to just watch odometer and trip computer to determine gas needs

I went to add gas yesterday. Tank was nearly empty and LOW FUEL light next to gauge was turned on. Trip computer indicated 7 miles to empty.

After I added gas, the fuel gauge remained on Empty with LOW FUEL light on although I had added 15 gallons. Trip computer indicated 243 miles to empty, which is close to normal considering mpg on vehicle. Trip Odometer on dash was visible and reset to zero.

After I drove for about 10 minutes the trip computer went blank and indicated a "C0" on screen for miles to empty. On board computer still indicated a Miles per gallon screen and the compass still works.

After shutting engine off and restarting, trip computer was visible, for about 2 minutes then "C0" code shows. Fuel Gauge and LOW FUEL indicator still on.

Anyone see this problem and got suggestions on what to check

Thanks

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've always suggested for owners to get the manufacturers service manuals. Same for you, they give you the parameters and test procedures to solve your problem. There are many "could be's" from the sender to dirty connectors to bad harness to possibly ecm ( if it is in the loop). Test and eliminate, you'll either find the problem or pull your hair out.

Texpedition

Reaction score
I am having this same issue, same scenario. I see that this post is about 5 years old but I was wondering if there was any new information or if you found the problem and solution.