Fuel Injector Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pappy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just changed my intake manifold. The #6 injector electrical connector seal (the little red rubber rectangular thangie) was so swollen that it jumped out of harness when I unplugged it. Is this an indication that the injector is leaking fuel into connector area? Should it be replaced? Should all 8 be replaced as a set? I did check all the injectors and they appear to be okay as far as pattern and operation, but all I have to check them with is jumper wires, throttle body cleaner, and a blowgun.

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
From what I know, no you don't have to replace injectors as a set but are you talking about Orings being swollen? They usually remain on the injectors without issue. They SHOULD be replaced anytime you remove one but I will admit to re-using them with very good success. If you can do a pressure test w/o any leaks, then I think you are golden!

jeff

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
After readings your other thread, now I know what part you mean...it's prob swollen from someone shooting electrical cleaner on it.....and yes, if they don't seal, replace them by going to the link that Chris posted in your other thread!

jeff

OP
OP
P

Pappy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks!

I know diesel injectors need to be serviced as a set, but they operate at several thousand PSI. I didn't know about these gasoline injectors.

Since we bought it new, and I've never had electrical cleaner anywhere close to under the hood, it's not too likely that particular chemical is the cause. Some other chemical, quite possibly. I'll keep an eye on it and see if the new one swells. I did have presence of mind to stick that injector in the # 1 hole, so it shouldn't be too hard to monitor or change. I actually wound up getting 3 o-rings per injector. One each for the fuel rail to injector top, one each for the injector to manifold, and one each for the electrical connector "port" to the pigtail. Total or 24 o-rings. By the way, I was sent the same part number for the top and bottom connections. The lower seemed pretty loose to me. Nor wobbly or any thing, just not as tight as I expected.