Fuel rail in/out ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SlabPlox

Reaction score
hi, i have a 1997 Expedition XLT 4x4 with the 4.6l V8 engine, the truck is going to be a offroad beater truck and i have a problem with a rotted fuel line (either the send or the return one)

my idea is to run a new fuel line from the fuel filter up to the fuel rail, and a return line from the fuel rail down to the tank, problem is i dont know where the ''in'' and the ''out'' is on the fuel rail, for example is the fuel regulator on the ''out''?

maybe that not that clear but i hope you understand!

634-793-15775.jpg

Big Brian

Full Access Members
Reaction score
the supply is usually the larger diameter one

you do realize you need to replace this with high pressure lines and the proper fittings

I would just buy the proper replacement lines and be done with it

OP
OP
S

SlabPlox

Reaction score
the supply is usually the larger diameter one

thanks, make sense and normaly the fuel regulator is on the exit on the rail, just wasnt sure on these trucks/engine. ill be trying it this way.

you do realize you need to replace this with high pressure lines and the proper fittings

I would just buy the proper replacement lines and be done with it

i have called Napa/carquest for price on fuel line and they are costly, that and the fact that on my expedition both fuel line pass in the middle of the truck just over the exhaust/transfer case/transmittion. its more easy and less pricey for me to buy fittings and steel fuel/brake line and run a new fuel line next to the frame to front end and from there up to the fuel filter up to the fuel rail. i do have access to a small pipe/line bender at school. and as i said this is a trail/mud beater ill be cranking the torsion bar/throwing used 33s on him and ride the hell out of that expedition.