Fuel Tank Capacity

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bring_em_on, Aug 26, 2010.

1. bring_em_on

bring_em_on Full Access Members

I have an '05 XLT 5.4L. My owners manual says that the fuel tank has a 28 gallon capacity. I've refueled her when the gauge needle was buried on "E" and while the fuel warning light was melting my dash and have never been able to get more than 24 gallons in it (and that's topped off..not another drop able to get into it). Is there a problem with my gauge or is the manual wrong?

Thanks.

2. 10K-Watts

10K-Watts Super Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

dont know...theres another thread somewhere talking about this issue...i have 27 gal and i'm able to get 26 gals top'd-off...and thats with 1/8 of fuel left...

3. Drth Vdr

Drth Vdr Active Member

Here's another data point: '08 limited, supposedly 28 gal tank. Mine said "3 miles left" and the needle was buried in "E" yesterday, only filled up with 24.98 gal.

4. seeker

seeker Full Access Members

30 gallons

I will let the pump kick itself off and then add 6-8 gallons slowly. I can get 30 gallons in when my low fuel light comes on.

Never trust the computer to tell you how far you can go. Unless you like walking to the gas station.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2010
  5. ghettoracer

ghettoracer Full Access Members

If you are COMPLETELY dry like if you totally ran out of gas and it wont start and you fill it up and think its topped off, its not. The trick is once its topped off, turn your ignition to prime the fuel pump to get it going and then give your truck a wiggle, because of the air in there and how fast the gas rushes into it, you're going to have to wait 5 min for all the air bubbles to come up to the top. Thats when you top it off again.