Fuel tank swap? 2001 4.6

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

djewing

Reaction score
Has anyone swapped in a larger fuel tank?

I would like to get greater range between fill-ups.

I know on some Jeep Wranglers there is no difference between the 14 gallon tank (4cyl) and the larger 20 gal? size (6cyl) other than an extension on the fill tube that drops lower into the tank and thereby limits the amount of fuel you can put into it.
This part can be removed on a Jeep, thereby creating the larger capacity tank. I am just curious if anyone out there knows if the Expedition tank is this way as well or is my only option a replacement, larger capacity tank?

Does anybody know if this is the case?? I guess I can drop the tank and check for myself but if someone has already done it, I'd rather draw on their experience before doing it as this is my daily driver.

Last edited:

nvycrmn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i know my expy has a 30 gal tank. if you wanted more than that, might want to consider dual tanks...

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
when i start making my expo an off road dream im getting a 40 gal. fuel cell. and mounting it higher up. cant put trailing arms under her now. maybe mine will go in cab or in the back some where. but i think there is enough room to put a bigger tank. might not want to get much bigger. maybe duals would be your way to go. get one for the other side and have to gas doors.

OP
OP
djewing

djewing

Reaction score
Thank you all.

For my year (2001) the 4.6 came with a 26gal and the 5.4 came with a 30 gal. That's why I was trying to figure out if the Expy tank had a situation like I explained with the Jeep Wrangler.

Thanks for the insight and Tank drop directions. Yes, a 40 Gallon tank would be a dream. I currently get about 13mpg avg but I put on 285 70 17's ( no lift-they fit great though) which lowered my mileage a bit around town. I can get about 17 if I travel on a dead flat stretch of highway for a while.

I also have a Hypertech programmer, a K & N FIPK kit, and a little AIRAID doohicky under the hood that's supposed to swirl my incoming air..it actually seems to get me about 1 mpg...funny but it actually works. Got a set of headers 2 from Summit I'm still waiting to get around to installing.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goff69