Full LED conversion issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

04EddyExpy

Reaction score
I have a 2004 Eddie Bauer Expedition that I just bought used a month ago, and I've been trying to convert everything to LED.

I bought an LED-friendly flasher (specifically made for my year/make/model) and all the appropriate bulbs. But no matter what I do, I'm still getting hyperflash.

I have LED headlights with load resistors built in.

The last bulbs I converted were the mirror turn signals and the puddle lights. The puddles work fine, however when I try to engage the turn signal, the flasher lets out a loud BUZZZZ and the light stays on steady.

Anybody have any luck doing this conversion? I have a full head of hair and I'm trying to keep it that way, but this task is either going to make me pull it out, or drive me to drink.

OP
OP
04EddyExpy

04EddyExpy

Reaction score
I've also noticed a lot of static over the stereo when I press the brake. Also with the turn signals. Even though I already have an "LED-friendly" flasher, I'm wondering if I should install a load resistor somewhere. Maybe on one of the brake lights? Or should I do both?

Rockclutch

Reaction score
Love my LEDs
I put resistors on front and rear and have had no issues. They do get hot so you need to mount to the chassis for thermal dissipation.

Resistors I use: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00L4V9ECY?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf

LED:

JDM ASTAR Extremely Bright PX Chipsets 3056 3156 3157 4157 LED Bulbs ,Amber Yellow(Brightest Turn Signal Bulb on the Market) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PHTXWQS?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf

JDM ASTAR Extremely Bright PX Chipsets 3056 3156 3057 3157 LED Bulb For Brake Light Tail lights Turn Signal, Brilliant Red https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PHUMFEW?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
04EddyExpy

04EddyExpy

Reaction score
BUZZZZZ is generally a messed up relay
Sorry, just getting back to this. So you think the LED-friendly flasher relay I got from RockAuto is a lemon? They're only about $13 so getting another one wouldn't be a problem.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
  • Sorry, just getting back to this. So you think the LED-friendly flasher relay I got from RockAuto is a lemon? They're only about $13 so getting another one wouldn't be a problem.

The relays and sockets themselves are ~$2, the rest is the wiring harness and/or vendor markup.

I just got a set of 5 for like 9 bux, specifically with the idea of just plugging another one in whenever I have doubts about one working

YES ive had cheapo relays from HID harnesses (from the same brand as the lights, I might add) burn out and melt, causing issues.

They'll buzz like a herd of angry giant space alien cicadas when they begin to fail... pull it before it starts a fire. And maybe look into a model with a builtin additional fuse for the relay, some even have em physically across and on top of the relay (no idea how well they perform though, haven't tried).

PS I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to do resistors AND relays, not if you plugged in a Novita flasher unit in place of your old relay under the dash.. and if you just wired it like a an LED pod or HID kit, then you're using the wrong relay, the Novita flasher unit has 3x less rated amperage and will burn out

Last edited: