Full synthetic price

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

barrydu4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I bring my 2013 Ford F150 XLT and 2017 Ford Expedition Limited to the local dealer. I can't do the work myself no more because I am 100% disabled veteran. They also do all the required maintenance as required by the manual. I have the extended warranties and this way they can not deny any claims due to the lack of maintenance.

edizzle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Amsoil Signature $54. Mobil1 filter $10. I only do it myself. Doesn’t void any warranty. It is illegal to prevent warranty coverage for self service. I keep meticulous records with receipts. Never had an issue.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
How many quarts does the 3.5l take? I think it is at least 7. $6-7qt and filter. My 2011 5.0l Mustang takes 8qts and cost $85/at dealer. I change it myself 8qts Royal Purple@ $7.95 + Napa Platinum filter $7

Last edited:

JollyRoger

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just a note: For those with the 5.4L, only the Motorcraft filter is designed with the backflow valve, so that it holds pressure to the timing chain tensioners and phasers much better. I am starting to experience a bit of chain slap during startup due to leaking tensioners and I can confirm that the issue has greatly decreased by using a motorcraft filter. I stopped going to quick-change places after closely looking at the filters they use. They are small, cheap and poorly designed and were causing me issues. I change it myself now, and it takes about 10 minutes and is really easy. 7 quarts of Mobil1 full syn and filter are $45.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Jolly Roger, not to rain on your parade but, you need to get your facts straight. First anyone in this site that reads my posts knows I'm pro Oem Ford parts! That being said, almost all but the cheapest quickie oil change places filters have the drain back valve. Even the Fram filters that everybody bashes do on their higher end models. After doing more research only vehicles that have remote oil filters, or remote oil coolers, is this an issue. Also with our filters on the 4.6/5.4 triton motors mounted at a 90 degree angle doesn't even make cold start up an issue. Now if the filter was mounted at 180 degrees facing down, then that's a whole different deal. Then the valve would be critical! Hope that helps. Keep using those motorcraft filters, they do work well, and are cheap to buy as well.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

JollyRoger

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No problem...not raining on my parade. The term I was looking for was 'check valve'. Most oil filters have a check valve but the question is, how well do they work. The Motorcraft filter consistently works much better than anything else I've tried. If you search any forum that includes 5.4L tritons (like the F150 forum), there's plenty of conversation around this. Here's how I can tell: At cold startup with any other filter, I get 10 seconds of 'chain clank' until the tensioners expand and take up the slack. With a motorcraft filter, it's about 2 seconds. Yes, I will eventually need to tear the front end apart and replace tensioners, guides, etc., but I'm prolonging that as long as I can. I do not work for Ford nor do I have any affiliation to Motorcraft parts. Based on my experience with 2 different Gen3 Expy's that had/have the same issue, and hundreds of thousands of miles between them, this works for me. And that's all I was trying to relay. Take it for what it's worth....have a great day!

CrAzYJoe85

Reaction score
I buy mobile 1 and a Napa platinum (WIX XP) filter for about $45 then take it to valvoline they report to carfax so it maintains my warranty every 5k Mi at valvoline it only cost me $20 to have them do the change and report it to carfax

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I never take any comments personally. On this forum were all here to help.The oiling problems on 3 valve motors is a problem. I agree if something works stick with it. Years back I ran a Harley rental shop in San Francisco. We got a big twin Harley sent up from our Los Angeles location. Motor was ticking pretty bad, had a fram filter. Just as a hunch, I installed a Harley oem filter, and holy cow, the ticking disappeared. I was floored! I was all ready to tear it down! Sure was glad I didn't have too. My Suv uses fram filters with 0 issues, but I have a 2000 2 valve. Different ball game with variable cam timing.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk