Fun trip to NY & CT in my new truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
As mentioned elsewhere here, I bought a new '17 Expy a couple of weeks ago. My girlfriend and I were looking forward to our trip up to NY to visit her family for the holiday. I left my house Weds morning to go to the office, worked a half-day then drove straight to her house where we loaded her stuff into my truck. We went to bed for a few hours then left her house around 2AM to go. The trip up was uneventful but it gave us, moistly her, a chance to play with all the bells and whistles. After spending Thanksgiving with her family, we went up to CT on Friday so she could spend some time with her daughter who lives with her dad up there. On the way back to NY on Friday evening, the traffic was heavy. My GF sometimes forgets to relay directions in a timely fashion and while in line on the left-most lane for the EZ pass, she informed me that we needed to get into the right lane, 8 lanes away 150 yds after the toll plaza.

Well, I never thought that I'd see the day but that 3.5 twin turbo engine will make a nearly six thousand pound expedition do a burnout! We easily made the right-hand exist with little drama and without endangering anyone...surprised the heck out of me though!

The only thing that I don't like about my truck is that the while the control dials such as the lights, transmission mode etc are illuminated, the actual switch isn't so you can't tell at a glance if you have the auto lights on or what you have the transmission mode set. Not a big thing but it would be nice. Anyone know something about this that I missed?

I drove nearly a thousand miles since Weds and I'm loving my truck! The handling is crisp while it wallows some at high speeds, it's pretty good for such a big vehicle. The braking is clean and effective, hauling down the speed easily. The power is eons better than the old 5.4 and vibration is just enough to give you the feedback from the road. Trust me, roads here in MD are SO much better than the roads in NY. I guess they don't spend much on paving up there as we do here. It seems that my headlights might be aimed a little low so I'll have to review the procedure for re-aiming them that Ford publishes. I'm used to the HIDs on my 2 seater car so anything else doesn't seem bright enough. One funny thing...when we were getting ready to leave her Dad's house at 4AM to come home, I hit the remote start from the rear bedroom of his home. It was 3 rooms from the front of the house then another 50 feet out into the street where my truck was parked. My GF laughed saying "you don't really think it started do you?"....we were both surprised when we walked outside and it was happily running...and nice and warm inside!

Good trip and good truck!

jeff

Last edited:

brick

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My new 2016 Expy has the 22 inch wheel package, which also includes the driver adjustable suspension. I keep it in " Sport" mode, which really firms up the ride. "Normal" setting is too mushy for my liking.
brick