FYI - 2015 Ford Expedition to get 5.0 liter 32-valve Ti-VCT V-8

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HolidayJones

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sure thing, Ford def needs to engineer a good small"Er" diesel for its f150/Expys. Fuel mileage and towing

Paddler

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've been wanting a diesel in my Expy for over 10 years. Of course, that was when diesel was less expensivve than Regular. It would be nice to have the 6.2 or a diesel for towing. I get 10.4MPG towing my 20' boat, which weighs just under 4000# on the trailer. How does the 5.0 compare to the 5.4 for towing?

This is my second Expedition, I bought it 3 years ago with 34K miles on it. It a 2008, my first was a 2000 which my daughter still drives. I'd have bought new back then, but the interior wasn't in the same class as the Lariat back then. Still isn't. The car needs lots of updates, I hope they get it right.

OP
OP
L

LocDoc

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Spied! 2015 Expedition/Navigator powertrain test mule

Here we go… the first spy photo of a 2015 Expedition/Navigator powertrain test mule. Development of the next Expedition/Navigator is well under way:

4dce27254590488.jpg 186951254593061.jpg

The body is of the current generation (nothing special), but what’s really important is the engine/transmission powertrain hidden under the cobbled-together front end which has parts of the Expedition and Navigator. The yellow sticker at the top of the windshield is a identification number for that mule.

1907c4254593125.jpg

We will see more of these test mules as time passes and hopefully a pre-production mule showing us what the new body will look like.

Last edited:

chadecoen

Reaction score
Been almost a year since an update. Any new news on the new Expy? I love the idea of the 5.0 but am intrigued by a little diesel too or even a larger V8. Anything? My poor old 03 is getting pretty tired.

OP
OP
L

LocDoc

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The 5.0 won't make it into the refreshed third generation 2015 Expedition. A updated version of the 5.0 (more power and torque) may appear around 2017 when the aluminium Expedition arrives, but that remains to be seen.

It ended up being that the engineers went for the more powerful engine (3.5 EcoBoost V-6) rather than the weaker 5.0 V-8.

The 3.0 "Lion" V-6 turbo diesel program at Ford has been revived for the F-150 and Expedition, but don't expect the Lion turbo diesel until 2017 or so. It will more than likely show up for the F-150 first. Then if approved, offered shortly thereafter for the aluminium Expedition.

The 10-speed 10R80 SelectShift manumatic transmission is still on track for both the F-150 and Expedition.

Last edited:

nonwoven29

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well thats a great option. Glad ford gives us a choice. Now if any gear heads are wanting to make big numbers they don't have to do it with a v6 that's taxed out.

People are putting down well in excess of 600rwp on 10psi!

Last edited:

01yellerCobra

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The 5.0 won't make it into the refreshed third generation 2015 Expedition. A updated version of the 5.0 (more power and torque) may appear around 2017 when the aluminium Expedition arrives, but that remains to be seen.

It ended up being that the engineers went for the more powerful engine (3.5 EcoBoost V-6) rather than the weaker 5.0 V-8.

The 3.0 "Lion" V-6 turbo diesel program at Ford has been revived for the F-150 and Expedition, but don't expect the Lion turbo diesel until 2017 or so. It will more than likely show up for the F-150 first. Then if approved, offered shortly thereafter for the aluminium Expedition.

The 10-speed 10R80 SelectShift manumatic transmission is still on track for both the F-150 and Expedition.

Are there any specs on the diesel? I'm not expecting something like the Cummins, but I wouldn't mind a diesel in my Expy.

Misspelling brought to you by tapatalk

OP
OP
L

LocDoc

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Are there any specs on the diesel? I'm not expecting something like the Cummins, but I wouldn't mind a diesel in my Expy.

Misspelling brought to you by tapatalk

The current 3.0 Lion (used overseas) outputs around 271 horsepower, 440 lb-ft of torque. The revised program for the twin-turbo diesel could seek to extract "around" 280-300 horsepower, and "around" 470-500 lb-ft of torque. The displacement may get increased slightly, but it’s too early to tell.

Current engine specifications:

3.0 liter "Lion" V-6 twin-turbo diesel

- aluminium-alloy block
- air-to-air intercooler
- twin-turbochargers with electronically-controlled variable geometry
- DOHC 24-valve (4 valves per cylinder, 2 intake and 2 exhaust)
- Siemens common-rail diesel (CRD) direct injection system

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hsquared360