Gas gauge inaccurate

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RustyOval

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My gas gauge on my 09 seems to be about 1/4 of a tank off according to filling at a station and reading only 3/4 full. I cannot squeeze anymore gas in the tank. Any ideas? I do most work myself. Thanks

Dennis_H

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm having the same issue with my 2010. Started about a month ago. Thought it just wasn't able to fill, but it looks like it is all the way up the neck. Not sure how much is left when it reads near empty though. It is very inconvenient not knowing how much is really left.

Thought maybe it was charcoal filter, but even filling very slow, or trying the next day, it doesn't take more. So I'm fairly sure the tank really is to the top and reading 3/4 and miles left calc is based on that 3/4 reading.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The fuel sender is available as a separate unit or part of the fuel pump assembly. It is available on Rock Auto for $29.79 for the short wheelbase and $34.79 for the long wheelbase model. I looked up the 2010 model year.

The only bad thing is you have to drop the tank to replace it. It is not serviceable. Depending on the age of your truck and and miles, you might as well spend the big bucks and replace the fuel pump assembly which includes the sending unit and saver yourself from having to drop the tank again later on for the pump.

9L1Z9A299C-ANG__ra_p.jpg

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you. How confident are you that this is the root cause?
What can happen when the gauge stops registering, is the float can fail and it no longer floats at the same level as designed, the pivot point binds and prevents the float from freely moving which is rare because it usually submerged in gas, or electronics in the sending unit go bad and don't sent the proper signal to the gauge.

It is very rare that the gauge in the dash actually goes bad. Here is an article that explains what to check:
https://www.bluespringsfordparts.com/blog/ford-gas-gauge-help

Dennis_H

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine was the sending unit... Replaced fuel pump/sending unit assembly. Not cheap, but it is accurate now.

dmm5157

Reaction score
The fuel sender is available as a separate unit or part of the fuel pump assembly. It is available on Rock Auto for $29.79 for the short wheelbase and $34.79 for the long wheelbase model. I looked up the 2010 model year.

The only bad thing is you have to drop the tank to replace it. It is not serviceable. Depending on the age of your truck and and miles, you might as well spend the big bucks and replace the fuel pump assembly which includes the sending unit and saver yourself from having to drop the tank again later on for the pump.

9L1Z9A299C-ANG__ra_p.jpg

Brilliant! I ran into this same issue, bought a generic fuel pump unit from Advance Auto Parts because that was only one available in the area. Truck stopped running and I had 1 day to get fixed before I headed out of town for a week and had to get truck running again. Lesson learned: Stick with OEM for stuff like this.

Last edited:

Plati

Reaction score
My 2003 Expy gas guage has hung up numerous times over the years. I never repaired anything, just waited it out and it fixed itself. I just watched the trip odometer and and kept gas in the tank. A mechanic told me Sulphur is known to build up on the float mechanism and I believe everything I'm told. If it didn't fix itself in a few tanks I would have done repair.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hsquared360