Gear oil leaking from passenger end of front axel.. Advice?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
C

cdherman

Reaction score
AKFordGuy -- yes, for 2003, the only required parts are the seal and a new circlip. Thatbeing said -- you will have to remove the CV joint and hub to get the axel out. I replaced the top yoke and the bottom ball joint, steering ends and the rest of the suspension while I had it all appart. Not sure that I needed to, but I was converting from airbad to coil suspension too. You hgave to use a slide hammer or equivalent to "pop" the axel out, FYI

88Turbo -- 2001 is different. I have no idea what fixing the 2001 front dif entails, though I think you DO have to take off the diff cover and take some sort of clip out so that the axel will slide out. Perhaps your problem is that the clip in the dif is missing?

Last edited:

AKFordguy

Reaction score
I just got the axle and seal out(what a beast that was) and found no Circlip on the axle shaft...should I pull the cover and look for it or will it be ok for a little while? Also, when reinstalling the driveshaft, put the circlip on the end BEFORE inserting it, correct?

OP
OP
C

cdherman

Reaction score
I just got the axle and seal out(what a beast that was) and found no Circlip on the axle shaft...should I pull the cover and look for it or will it be ok for a little while? Also, when reinstalling the driveshaft, put the circlip on the end BEFORE inserting it, correct?

I am uncertain how to answer. "what a beast that was" makes me think you had to really yank/bang/pull to get the axel out. Without the circlip, it *should* have just slid out. Very little or no resistance.

If the "what a beast" comment pertained more to taking rest of the front end apart, BUT the axel just slid out as I describe, then I would wonder if some other prior owner had that axel out (or dealer) and did not bother to replace the circlip. Its possible. The CV will hold the axel in place, more or less, I think.

On the other hand, if you had to truly yank/bang/pull the axel out with great force and now you are not finding a circlip, then I would worry about perhaps 2003 NOT being the same as 2004.

As far as I know, they are.... But I am no pro. Perhaps, there were some 2003s that required still the cover plate over the diff to be removed and a clip removed???

You may have brute force mangled the retaining clip....

Tell more and perhaps we can help....

AKFordguy

Reaction score
Well for an update, I was NOT able (after much negotiating and liberal application of mechanical mojo) to get the axle to slide back into place as advertised. I did however succeed in beating the tar out of a circlip. I ended up opening the pumpkin and installing the clip to the axle end with the shaft installed(truly a headache but glad I did since the first circlip was in the bottom of the diff!) So another night in my friend's garage and the very generous assistance of a mechanic friend-of-a-friend have me back on the road. The Gods smiled and all is right with the world!

As for the c-clip issue. I'd remove the diff cover and look for the clip portions before using the 4wd. The clip is a bit tricky to install, but I was able to get it in without having to drop the axle. Just my $0.02.

OP
OP
C

cdherman

Reaction score
Well for an update, I was NOT able (after much negotiating and liberal application of mechanical mojo) to get the axle to slide back into place as advertised. I did however succeed in beating the tar out of a circlip. I ended up opening the pumpkin and installing the clip to the axle end with the shaft installed(truly a headache but glad I did since the first circlip was in the bottom of the diff!) So another night in my friend's garage and the very generous assistance of a mechanic friend-of-a-friend have me back on the road. The Gods smiled and all is right with the world!

As for the c-clip issue. I'd remove the diff cover and look for the clip portions before using the 4wd. The clip is a bit tricky to install, but I was able to get it in without having to drop the axle. Just my $0.02.

This seems to me to indicate that at least SOME 2003 (maybe all??) front diffs are of the old type, which require the retaining clip to be removed via the differential cover before pulling the axel.

I am sorry if this thread mislead you. I thought that 2003 and 2004 were the same in this regard.

Hope it works out...