Genuine Ford parts vs Motorcraft

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
I buy Motorcraft parts from Tasca Ford. They have very good prices and have never let me down. I do suppose parts suppliers change from time to time. The original rotors on my '08 were marked "Made in USA" but the Motorcraft replacements said "China". They gave me no trouble surprisingly, and were miles better than the $12 rotors sold by auto parts chains.

OP
OP
oldpaddy

oldpaddy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There's no such thing, per se, for most components
Well, that's a crock of shit. Reminds me of when I found out there's no such thing as "cop parts".
I want to the best parts in my truck.

Big Brian

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ford (and the other OEMs) make very few of their own parts

They are made by companies like that I work for, a Tier 1 supplier that makes them to Ford's specs. Then we stamp Fords logo on them as well as our own

This is one reason that you may find 2 different parts on the same model year vehicle made by different companies. Sometimes deals are made where one supplier will stop making a certain part for whatever reason and another one starts supplying it. It can get complicated. That's one reason sometimes a production date is needed to ascertain what part is actually on the vehicle

Toyota on the other hand, owns most of their suppliers so its a bit different situation for them

OP
OP
oldpaddy

oldpaddy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ford (and the other OEMs) make very few of their own parts

They are made by companies like that I work for, a Tier 1 supplier that makes them to Ford's specs. Then we stamp Fords logo on them as well as our own

This is one reason that you may find 2 different parts on the same model year vehicle made by different companies. Sometimes deals are made where one supplier will stop making a certain part for whatever reason and another one starts supplying it. It can get complicated. That's one reason sometimes a production date is needed to ascertain what part is actually on the vehicle

Toyota on the other hand, owns most of their suppliers so its a bit different situation for them
Is there an American brand (and made in america) that's superior to everyone else?
I'm over cheap shit from China. I want the best American made, and owned, parts in my truck.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
It's very hard to assure quality American parts. As explained above, a part that's made by one supplier in the USA on Monday may be made by a different one in Mexico on Tuesday. They can both be sold with the same name on the box. I find by using Motorcraft parts I get good stuff, but I pay a premium. There are several first class manufacturers who, while supplying some foreign parts, tend to try to keep high quality standards. These are companies such as Moog and Timken. Often I'll get a part from an auto part store, look at "Made in China" on the box and hand it back. No thanks.

Most stuff sold in chain auto parts stores is the cheapest junk available. Nationally, they tend to serve those who maintain their own cars out of necessity, as they have no money to pay for service. On the coasts, these are usually illegal foreigners who have no problem replacing the same part three times if they can save six bucks on the part.

Rock Auto offers a good assortment on line and you can usually choose from good, bad or cheap suppliers. They also sell many Motorcraft parts at pretty good prices.

Imagine installing a Chinese exhaust manifold that cost $13? A buddy did. It took him twelve hours to install it and it cracked after heating up the first time. I told him so...

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Brian is correct. For example when my tire pressure sensors went bad I tracked them back to Airtex/Wells who was the OEM supplier for ford, they were $12 a piece from airtex or like $40 a piece motorcraft. I ordered the airtex and they were stamped Ford Motor Company on them as I expected. Motorcraft is as genuine as it gets, here’s pics of my MC wheel hub/bearing. If you want top tier from MotorCraft you have to specify you want the “OEM part” as ford sells OEM and aftermarket design parts under the Motorcraft brand.

27DE9B44-2026-426F-8203-CDADAF61CE8E.jpeg
F8989D59-7B53-4E6C-BC4C-04F161ED30FD.jpeg
3A5285DA-AB3C-44DA-AEDA-5A4681EFE8F2.jpeg

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
geovanni