Greetings from MD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jim midd

Full Access Members
Reaction score
View media item 6419I have had a '98 EB for the last 7 years or so. I am second owner, my Dad was original owner. I use it in NJ as a beach truck. That truck has 145k on it. A buddy of mine just gave me his 1 owner '03 XLT. It's got about 228k on it. its in good overall shape but throwing some codes ( I suspect vacuum leaks). Haven't a chance to mess with it yet, plan to do some work on it this weekend

Last edited:

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Post the codes

Welcome to the Forum Your signature says a 03

If you have the 4.6 you may want to clean the exhaust ports in the throttle body

OP
OP
jim midd

jim midd

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Post the codes

Welcome to the Forum Your signature says a 03

If you have the 4.6 you may want to clean the exhaust ports in the throttle body

Yeah, like I said, I just got it a few days ago! edited OP, thanks.
Both banks too lean ( P0171 and 174), a misfire on #2, and P0316 misfire on startup. I'm hoping it's just a vacuum leak, hoses seem pretty dry rotted, but havent had time to get in there and take a close look yet. thanks

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
P0174 - System to Lean (Bank 2) The Adaptive Fuel Strategy continuously monitors the fuel delivery hardware. The test fails when the adaptive fuel tables reach a rich calibrated limit. Refer to Section 1 , Powertrain Control Software, Fuel Trim for more information. See Possible Causes for DTC P0171.

P0171 - System to Lean (Bank 1) The Adaptive Fuel Strategy continuously monitors fuel delivery hardware. The test fails when the adaptive fuel tables reach a rich calibrated limit. Refer to Section 1 , Powertrain Control Software, Fuel Trim for more information. Air Measurement System
  • MAF sensor (contaminated, damaged, malfunctioning, etc.)
Fuel System
  • Fuel pressure regulator (leaking, malfunctioning, etc.).
  • Fuel filter plugged, dirty.
  • Fuel pump (weak, check valve leaking, etc.).
  • Leaking/contaminated fuel injectors.
  • Low fuel pressure or running out of fuel.
  • EVAP canister purge valve leaking (when canister is "clean").
  • Fuel supply line restricted.
  • Fuel rail pressure sensor (incorrect reading).
Air Induction System
  • Air leaks after the MAF.
  • Vacuum Leaks.
  • PCV system (leak, valve stuck open, etc.)
  • Improperly seated engine oil dipstick.
Exhaust System
  • Exhaust leaks before or near the HO2Ss (exhaust manifold gasket, mating gaskets, etc.)..
EGR System
  • EGR valve tube/gasket leak
  • EVR solenoid vacuum leak
Secondary Air Injection
  • Damaged/malfunctioning secondary air injection system (mechanically stuck valve).
P0301 through P0310 - Misfire Detection Monitor The misfire detection monitor is designed to monitor engine misfire and identify the specific cylinder in which the misfire has occurred. Misfire is defined as lack of combustion in a cylinder due to absence of spark, poor fuel metering, poor compression, or any other cause.
  • Ignition system
  • Fuel injectors
  • Running out of fuel
  • EVAP canister purge valve
  • Fuel pressure
  • Evaporative emission system
  • Base engine
The MIL will blink once per second when a misfire is detected severe enough to cause catalyst damage. If the MIL is on steady state, due to a misfire, this will indicate the threshold for emissions was exceeded and cause the vehicle to fail an inspection and maintenance tailpipe test.

P0316 - Misfire Occurred in the First 1000 Engine Revolutions P0316 code will be set in addition to any type B misfire DTC which occurs in the first 1000 revolution test interval, following engine start.
  • Damaged CKP sensor
  • Ignition system
  • Fuel Injectors
  • Running out of fuel
  • Fuel Quality
  • Base Engine
  • Damaged PCM
Freeze Frame Data and the P03XX DTC will also be stored, indicating in which cylinder the misfire occurred.

Read the attached link

http://troubleshootmyvehicle.com/ford/4.6L-5.4L/troubleshooting-p0171-and-p0174-page-1

OP
OP
jim midd

jim midd

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks, I actually looked at that linked a couple days ago. My buddy who gave me the truck is very meticulous and had records of everything ever done. He's thrown money at this issue off and on for a long time according to the service records he gave me. Looks like the last time PCV tube was replaced was in '08 or so if I remember correctly so I'm gonna start there. I know the 02 sensors are newish, and my scanner says they passed the " smog readiness test".

I did the Fuel Trim check test as described in that article, my numbers maxed out somewhere around 15% IIRC, but I don't think my coolant temp ever got to 88C. I'm gonna get hands on this weekend. I'll put a new PCV and PCV hose in, and look over all the hoses and see if anything jumps out. thanks, i do appreciate your help

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There is a good video on you tube about cleaning the exhaust ports thru the throttle body
Would be a good idea to clean them the 4.6 is worse that the 5.4 for those ports clogging