Grinding when Steering Wheel is Fully Turned (Right)

Discussion in '2nd Gen - 2003 - 2006' started by MasterEngineer, May 19, 2017.

1. MasterEngineer

MasterEngineer Member

Hi everyone, I have an '03 Expy EB and I've noticed that whenever my steering wheel is turned all the way to the right (e.g. When I'm backing out of a spot - but the noise can happen going forwards too), there's a loud grinding/rubbing noise, and I can feel it in the steering wheel.

Does anyone know what the cause/solution might be? It has 4x4, so I'm wondering if it's the front differential?

2. ExpeditionAndy

ExpeditionAndy Supporting Member Supporting Member

Is it in 2WD, AWD, 4H, or 4L? What size tires are you running? How many miles on your truck?

3. MasterEngineer

MasterEngineer Member

Happens in 2Hi, (never really use 4wd, so not sure if there's any change if I put it in 4wd), tires are all P265/70/R17 with same brand and same time of installation, and just hit 166k miles

4. ExpeditionAndy

ExpeditionAndy Supporting Member Supporting Member

Okay thanks.
    • Wheel bearings make noise at speed when you move to the left or right. but at slow speed they generally don't make noise.
    • It might be your Integrated Wheel Ends (hubs). When in 2WD vacuum is applied to the hubs and and keep them retracted. When the vac system fails, it makes a grinding noise but it is really loud at speed. If you put it in AWD and the noise goes away suspect the hubs.
    • The other things that it could be are the CV joints check the rubber boots for tears and grease flung around where the axles go into the wheels.
    Beyond that, I got nothing. :)

5. Habbibie

Habbibie Legendary Member

Shot Ball joints or possible brake dust cover rubbing on something (common on Hondas though)

6. Qatarguy

Qatarguy Member

Would go with Habbibie on this.

2011 King Ranch...Had the same problem few months ago. When the steering was turned extreme left or right and either moving reverse or forward, used to get a grating/grinding/groaning sound from the front wheel assembly. Had only 30K miles on the meter... 285/50R20 tires

Turned out the front lower ball joints were shot as well as the front shock absorbers. Got them all replaced and the noise stopped.

Based on this, I would say get the ball joints checked, most likely they'r the culprits....You'll need to change both, left and right ball joints, if confirmed that the ball joints are the problem. Don't forget to get the wheels aligned after the change.

Last edited: May 24, 2017
  7. Swanny66

Swanny66 New Member

I have a 2003 Expe 5.4L 4WD, it has always made a growling/vibration noise when turning left or right at slow speeds in 2H. Per the service manual, I checked that the hubs are in fact releasing when going from 4WD (low or high) back to normal 2H position. I believe it is the limited slip front differential, maybe a different type of oil would resolve. I have 75k on the vehicle, hasn't gotten any worse or better since mile 00000.