Had a good tow day today...pics

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

07xln

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you’re talking about the sway control feature built into the actual vehicle, I’m not sure the Expedition has it. I know the trucks do. But it works by detecting the rear of the vehicle swaying and when it reaches a point the ecm will apply the breaks on its own to help stop the sway. It’s more of a safety feature then a true sway control. Even if you do have this feature you still need a good external sway control if you’re going to be towing with a WDH

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
From what I can tell there are no "sway control settings" on the Expedition. Nothing to set. All done automatically apparently with blue smoke and mirrors. :) Of course "sway" is a misnomer. The better term is fish tailing!

Equalizer is by no means the current state-of-the art, there are hitches by Hensley that claim to be (that's a link). :) Prices increase as you progress from chain/sway bar to Equalizer to Hensley. At some point you need to decide what's enough. Properly set they all seem to work so it depends on your level of comfort. When backing a sliding sway control bar on the side of the trailer tongue can compress to the rigid point and break off or damage your truck or trailer. Best practice is to remove it before backing. Jackknife the trailer and something will break. And don't forget to connect it before going forward.

We need WDHs on our trucks if tongue weight exceeds 600 pounds.

There are some very interesting sway control schemes in Europe and Australia which apply the trailer brakes on one side or the other depending on how far off center the trailer gets to a straight tow line. Mechanical cables and maybe some hydraulic versions.

-- Chuck

B-McD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
From the 2016 Owners Manual: TRAILER SWAY CONTROL WARNING Turning off trailer sway control increases the risk of loss of vehicle control, serious injury or death. Ford does not recommend disabling this feature except in situations where speed reduction may be detrimental (such as hill climbing), the driver has significant trailer towing experience, and can control trailer sway and maintain safe operation. Note: This feature does not prevent trailer sway, but reduces it once it begins. Note: This feature cannot stop all trailers from swaying. Note: In some cases, if vehicle speed is too high, the system may activate multiple times, gradually reducing vehicle speed. This feature applies your vehicle brakes at individual wheels and, if necessary, reduces engine power. If the trailer begins to sway, the stability control light flashes and the message TRAILER SWAY REDUCE SPEED appears in the information display. The first thing to do is slow your vehicle down, then pull safely to the side of the road and check for proper tongue load and trailer load distribution. See Load Carrying (page 196).

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From the 2016 Owners Manual: TRAILER SWAY CONTROL WARNING Turning off trailer sway control increases the risk of loss of vehicle control, serious injury or death. Ford does not recommend disabling this feature except in situations where speed reduction may be detrimental (such as hill climbing), the driver has significant trailer towing experience, and can control trailer sway and maintain safe operation. Note: This feature does not prevent trailer sway, but reduces it once it begins. Note: This feature cannot stop all trailers from swaying. Note: In some cases, if vehicle speed is too high, the system may activate multiple times, gradually reducing vehicle speed. This feature applies your vehicle brakes at individual wheels and, if necessary, reduces engine power. If the trailer begins to sway, the stability control light flashes and the message TRAILER SWAY REDUCE SPEED appears in the information display. The first thing to do is slow your vehicle down, then pull safely to the side of the road and check for proper tongue load and trailer load distribution. See Load Carrying (page 196).
You can't argue with the owner's manual. :D

OP
OP
Muddy Bean

Muddy Bean

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine has it (2015 EL Limited).
bf1213896963f340df7a5e9e3899a4c7.jpg

Incidentally, towed my grandmothers car to the salvage yard today. Truck is getting a workout this week. 7ae3eed4ef51e5f6561b9372a0099a25.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
Muddy Bean

Muddy Bean

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When he took the car off my trailer he had me worried for a second...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That poor car..... you can feel its sadness through the video... hate seeing them go to their end. I’m with you on the unloading i wouldn’t have liked that one bit so close to the truck hanging on one fork lol.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jkxr4