Ham Radio / CB Antenna Installed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tavy

Reaction score
Hi All,
I just completed my CB/ham radio antenna installation using an angle bracket bolted to the inner quarter panel just under the left tailight.
Check it out.

IMG_4308.JPG

IMG_4309.JPG

IMG_4310.JPG

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's a combo antenna?

On my Explorer I started out with a CB. Then I got a handheld ham radio with an auxiliary antenna. Seems to work pretty well.

OP
OP
T

Tavy

Reaction score
Yeah i have done that too in the past using hardheld while off roading. It works well sometimes except when i am bouncing around on rough terrain. i figured a permanent mobile radio solution is better for me, no charging of handheld battery required, no fumbling of radio. i can take advantage of transmitting in high power 50watts on 2meter 25 wats on 440mhz for longer range if needed. its all about preference and convinience for me. i just turn the radio on dial in the freq and thats it the radio always there attached to the vehicle ready to be utilize when needed specially in an emergency as a backup comms incase no cell signal.

Last edited:

USMCBuckWild

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It is every 10 years, I got Tech when I was 15 and remember renewing it 1 time. Hopefully i didn't let it lapse!

Good install by the way!! I would make a brush "guard" or at least an angled piece of metal to help deter branches from catching on the antenae mount. Just a little piece of sheet metal about 45 degrees towards the front of the truck and secured with the body. Take it from a guy who lost a borrowed 2m/440 ant/mount and had to buy another one to replace it.

Tocapet

Full Access Members
Reaction score
NEVER let your license expire. They were too hard to get and you never know when you might need it.

KC5PA since 1970

BTW, I wonder what his SWR rating is with it mounted down on the bumper like that. I used a 19" 1/4 wave antenna on the roof and got good results. over 50 miles direct with 10 watts on 2M.

Last edited:

fuzzmanmatt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My cb antenna, a K40, is mounted on the rear hatch, the ham antenna is a really nice Comet 2x4 folder, and that's mounted on the roof. I'll have to get some pictures, but that roof mounted antenna can cause problems when backing into the garage with it up... Thankfully the mount broke before it tore the sheet metal. I might have to duplicate what you've got if it works good!