harmonic balancer puller ???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

whitelightning99

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Did i get the right one for a 1999 5.4 ? will be doing head gaskets sometime in the future, just trying to get the tools and other stuff ready for the job.

Any other special tools i need ???

15909524_1836128599981309_97047145_n.jpg

Last edited:

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Cam holder. I bought 2 since I'm lazy. Did both chains at the same time.
Good torque wrench - not Harbor Freight version unless you can verify the accuracy.

It has been a while since I did mine, from what I remember once the balancer bolt is out it just slides off the crank snout.

Last edited:
OP
OP
whitelightning99

whitelightning99

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i googled "cam holder for ford 5.4" and all kinds of things came up.

Do you have a link ? so i get right one if i decide to get em.

Snag

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That one will do the job.

Stamp, you are killing me. I am a Harbor Freight man:O) well and the dollar store.

White Lightning
The Ford Modular engines are fairly complicated. I don't know your mechanical ability but research is good before doing these engines. Brian with FordTechMakuyouloco is a very good reference. He covers most Ford repairs. He does one of the best most accurate videos out their. Most you need to take with a grain of salt as they are inaccurate and could cause you lots of problems.

OP
OP
whitelightning99

whitelightning99

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That one will do the job.

Stamp, you are killing me. I am a Harbor Freight man:O) well and the dollar store.

White Lightning
The Ford Modular engines are fairly complicated. I don't know your mechanical ability but research is good before doing these engines. Brian with FordTechMakuyouloco is a very good reference. He covers most Ford repairs. He does one of the best most accurate videos out their. Most you need to take with a grain of salt as they are inaccurate and could cause you lots of problems.

Thanks and yes i been doing A LOT of research on line also reading my repair manuals and yes iv been subbed to FordTechMakuyouloco channel for a while now and have watch a lot of his videos .seems like the concern for me is getting the timing set back right,yes i know that there's a tool for that an seen the vids on how to do timing. i am sure i can do it. it just worry's me about messing stuff up that's not broke because not having the money just to go right out an buy what ever parts it may be that i break is not really and options for me also getting my acing body to cooperate with me as i have health issues

Snag

Full Access Members
Reaction score
White Lightning
Looks like you are on the path to success. Research will help you through the process as its fairly difficult.
I wished I was closer I would help you. Sadly these modular engines have some inherent problems and if going that deep to replace head gaskets you might consider timing chain assembly and oil pump, of course depending on miles on the rig. The timing is actually pretty simple and plenty of videos showing some tricks. Line up the colored chain on the marks and you have it, double and triple check yourself before covering it up. Also the first generation engines had spark plug hole problems, check those when the heads are off, way easier to fix when on the bench. On any tools or parts really search the internet sites. That crank alignment tool for example ranges from 80.00 down to 40.00, but I think you can do the job without it. Also, some tools can be borrowed or rented from the local parts houses, this helps.

Oh, Harbor Freight Tools are not the tools they were 20 years ago. I wouldn't hesitate buying and using them. Most are life time warranty now. I wouldn't use them to make a living, but for weekend warriors they are adequate. A good way to save you some money.

Good luck