Headlight and turn signal bulb clips broke.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

uscgmac

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Was installing some f150 lightning style aftermarket headlights on my 02 expedition and when I removed the bulb housing to transfer to the new headlights and turn signals everyone of those electrical connector clips broke off. I went very easy and they still cracked even with the slightest touch. I installed everything anyway and there is still a nice positive click for the connector and a tight seal so I'm not going to get all crazy about it. I'm sure it's not to difficult to replace the headlight/turn signal harness with new connectors but I'm going to leave it alone for now and see how it holds up. Drove it for a bit and the connection it tight and no flickering or indication of a bad connection. How many of you have had this happen??

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

kyle_in_rure

Full Access Members
Reaction score
All of my turn signal clips cracked and broke years ago. I replaced them for my own piece of mind but went several months before doing so without problems. I would be a bit more concerned about broken headlight clips since they pull more wattage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Heat always make plastic brittle and crack. Normally I put a zip tie around the item, but theirs no way in your case. Short of swapping out plug, not a whole lot you can do.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
U

uscgmac

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Heat always make plastic brittle and crack. Normally I put a zip tie around the item, but theirs no way in your case. Short of swapping out plug, not a whole lot you can do.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk
I saw some aftermarket ones in auto zone. They come in a two pack for the headlights for around 5 or 6 bucks. I would just have to clip off the old connector and wire on the new ones with some crimp connectors and shrink wrap. I'll get around to it in the future.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

OP
OP
U

uscgmac

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I went to auto zone and bought a set of new aftermarket socket connectors for the headlights. The brand is dorman and they were 11.99 for a set of two. I then bought a pack of 16/18 weather resistant butt connectors and a wire cutter and crimp tool. I never really do electrical so didn't have the tools except for the wire stripper. Took all of 10 min per side and the fit is excellent. Snapped right in with a nice positive click. The connectors have a rubber like boot which I used a lighter and shrunk it on the wires making a nice weather resistant seal. I then used black electrical tape and bound all three wires together for added protection and to keep then neat and secure. Works like a charm and now I don't have to worry about the previous connection coming apart and causing damage.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Last edited: