Headlight mod - 2011 Expedition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SgtStedanko

Reaction score
I am thinking about changing my 2011 Expedition stock headlights to a projector style headlight.

These are the two I am looking at:

Spyder Chrome U-Barspyder-chrome-projector.PNG

Or, Anzo CCFL Halo
anzo-chrome-projector-halo.PNG

Thoughts? Opinions? Anyone else here have these?

EL Expedition

Reaction score
I like the Spyder set. I have seen the Anzo set on an Expedition and it just looked ricey to me. Are these able to use an HID setup, or are they just projectors for standard bulbs?

OP
OP
SgtStedanko

SgtStedanko

Reaction score
I like the Spyder set. I have seen the Anzo set on an Expedition and it just looked ricey to me. Are these able to use an HID setup, or are they just projectors for standard bulbs?

Great question! Which prompted me to contact Spyder (I was leaning heavily toward the Spyder U-Bar). They said they do not recommend or support HID's and it voids the warranty. But if I were going to go ahead and use HID's anyway, not to use anything over 35W.

So, now I am on the hunt for projector headlights that do support HID.

Last edited:

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
Great question! Which prompted me to contact Spyder (I was leaning heavily toward the Spyder U-Bar). They said they do not recommend or support HID's and it voids the warranty. But if I were going to go ahead and use HID's anyway, not to use anything over 35W.

So, now I am on the hunt for projector headlights that do support HID.

Unfortunately you won't find any and if you do they'll be poor quality just like the spyder and anzo. I'd strongly recommend a projector retrofit as you get the best performance from your headlights and they'll look good also

OP
OP
SgtStedanko

SgtStedanko

Reaction score
I ended up going with the Anzo CCFL Halo's. I had some input from the Sammi and she liked them better.

Anyway, the quality of this unit compared to the Ford OEM headlights I took out is comparable. The plastic seems to be of the same quality. The light output is better. I am going to try some bright bulbs and see what those do.

Overall, I am happy with these Anzo lights. I bought them on Amazon.

2011-expy-new-headlights-lg.jpg

2011-expy-new-headlights-sm.jpg

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Can confirm 35w HID works in Anzo, no issues.

Clear cutoff, decent light distribution, no "fireball" hot spots

OP
OP
SgtStedanko

SgtStedanko

Reaction score
UPDATE:

I tried to buy some nice LED bulbs for these headlights but they would not fit due to the cooling mechanisms built onto the bulb and the way the housing is designed on the back of these particular headlights.

I did buy some Sylvania zXe bulbs. The highbeams, H7, have a white look to them but the H1's for the low beams still have a yellowish hue. But, the headlights are now much brighter than my stock headlights.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah, LED fitment would be an issue with sealed H1.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
savbraze