headlights too high

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hutchford16exp

Reaction score
Anyone know how to adjust the head lights, they appear to be too high, I can't see the road, on a 16 expy?

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
Pull up to a flat wall as close as possible. Mark your headlight cutoff location on the wall with a painters tape, now back up 25'. Your cutoff should be 2-3" lower then the area you marked. Now adjust accordingly

GeezingInVA

Reaction score
I have just the opposite problem with my '16 Limited. I've never had a vehicle where the headlight beams sharply cut off the top of the beam horizontally, thus making the road ahead that's lighted way too short to see sufficiently in front of the vehicle. Of course the annual Virginia safety inspections only complain/correct if the headlight beams are aimed too high and/or into oncoming traffic, so nobody's insisted on adjusting anything. The headlights remain at their factory alignment.

I have the mechanical leveling rear shocks, so I suspect these headlights were originally aimed/aligned at the factory with the rear shocks down/settled. Out on the road the rear shocks rightly raise themselves after driving down the road a bit, resulting in the headlights being aimed lower (and the beams being masked/cut off more at the top) than they should be. :yucky:

...Karl

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have just the opposite problem with my '16 Limited. I've never had a vehicle where the headlight beams sharply cut off the top of the beam horizontally, thus making the road ahead that's lighted way too short to see sufficiently in front of the vehicle. Of course the annual Virginia safety inspections only complain/correct if the headlight beams are aimed too high and/or into oncoming traffic, so nobody's insisted on adjusting anything. The headlights remain at their factory alignment.

I have the mechanical leveling rear shocks, so I suspect these headlights were originally aimed/aligned at the factory with the rear shocks down/settled. Out on the road the rear shocks rightly raise themselves after driving down the road a bit, resulting in the headlights being aimed lower (and the beams being masked/cut off more at the top) than they should be. :yucky:

...Karl
I have the same issue with my 17 the headlamps are pointing down and don't light the road up as far as I would like to see them. I have driven Mercedes ML350s with projector headlamps that lit up the road twice as far. I had the dealer raise the aim once and I'm going to raise them again but I haven't had time to do it.