Headlights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Expy guy

Reaction score
I put Sylvania ultra's in my 2017 Limited. It made a small difference.
Then I purchased some 6000K LED's and WOW what an improvement.
I purchased the type that has the ribbon cooling, not the fans.
They were about $52 a pair on ebay.

Last edited:

ChrisRCNY

Reaction score
If anyone has recommendations on complete replacement projector headlamps that are LED friendly, I'd be interested. I'd prefer LED over HID.

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No 07, I understand his question and I'll tell you why.....because most people PERCEIVE that HIDs cost more and are more difficult to install where the LEDS are plug & play....it's human nature and applies to all human things....same reason a guy will take a slut...it's easier even if you know there's prob a reason you shouldn't....ok, not a "family time" example but my car has factory HIDS and I love them! Much better & brighter...even at SIXTEEN years old (it's a '02) than my now year-old Expy lights...stock or the led replacements.

I've decided that the cheapo leds, while they worked well at first, are now dimming to the point that Kerry swears I'm driving in the dark<LOL>.

So Gix....what components do I need to buy to convert to HID and will I have ANY issues with flashing/pulsing/codes etc?

See, timing is everything.....a month ago I wouldn't be having this conversation....

jeff

Z4Mguy

Reaction score
Ok, if high wattage halogen's are out, what HID kit would be recommended for a 2017 with projectors? I want more light for my low beams, they seem pretty weak even with the fogs on. There are so many kits out there, and I have no experience with them, but love my HIDs in my Z4 and previous Audi. What is the color temp of the factory fogs (I'd like to match a bit closer, but not too far blue)? Does a relay need to be put in to directly connect to the battery for 55W HIDs?

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
Are you trying to make another person feel dumb?
Why would I intentionally try to make him feel dumb?

Its a well known fact that output numbers are fudged from 95% of aftermarket led headlight bulb manufactures and they lead people to believe they distribute light as they should. Thats not the case but because they inflate the numbers people buy them like crazy not realizing they are doing more harm then good.

Everyone wants that crisp white light that you get from led but theres so much more to a headlight bulb then color. Color does have a small affect on vision and you'll really notice it in the rain as 43000k(yellow ish) and below are the best performers in the rain.

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
No 07, I understand his question and I'll tell you why.....because most people PERCEIVE that HIDs cost more and are more difficult to install where the LEDS are plug & play....it's human nature and applies to all human things....same reason a guy will take a slut...it's easier even if you know there's prob a reason you shouldn't....ok, not a "family time" example but my car has factory HIDS and I love them! Much better & brighter...even at SIXTEEN years old (it's a '02) than my now year-old Expy lights...stock or the led replacements.

I've decided that the cheapo leds, while they worked well at first, are now dimming to the point that Kerry swears I'm driving in the dark<LOL>.

So Gix....what components do I need to buy to convert to HID and will I have ANY issues with flashing/pulsing/codes etc?

See, timing is everything.....a month ago I wouldn't be having this conversation....

jeff
I drive an older 3rd gen so I can really comment on errors but I generally stick with Morimoto or Diode Dynamics for a full plug and play kit. My current Morimoto h1 kit is going on 3 years without a hiccup.

I do prefer oem ballasts (hella,denso)just because of the faster warm up time but generally they require some work to get them installed correctly.