Heated and cooled seats are weak and passenger side seat does not work

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pkuchirka

Reaction score
The heated and cool seats don't heat up much or cool . I checked the filter under the seats, checked the fuses and there good. Now the passenger side doesn't work at all now. Any advice on what else I can look at to get this fixed? Thank you

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had an 05 that I bought used the heated and cooled seats barely worked, the heat worked better but it took a little while for the heat to come up and it the the cooling about 10 minutes before you felt it, compared to the new 17 that gives me heat in about 30 seconds and cooling in about the same amount of time. The seats work with fans under the seats and they have filters. First check the filter, they probably aren't dirty but it is worth the time to check them.

My guess is the foam collapses over time and it makes it hard for the air to come through the holes in the leather. That is just my thoughts, I haven't confirmed it but it seems logical.

OP
OP
P

pkuchirka

Reaction score
I had an 05 that I bought used the heated and cooled seats barely worked, the heat worked better but it took a little while for the heat to come up and it the the cooling about 10 minutes before you felt it, compared to the new 17 that gives me heat in about 30 seconds and cooling in about the same amount of time. The seats work with fans under the seats and they have filters. First check the filter, they probably aren't dirty but it is worth the time to check them.

My guess is the foam collapses over time and it makes it hard for the air to come through the holes in the leather. That is just my thoughts, I haven't confirmed it but it seems logical.
I have checked the fan filters for the seat and they were good. Do you think the fan is weak? The seat foam sounds like something to check out!

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have checked the fan filters for the seat and they were good. Do you think the fan is weak? The seat foam sounds like something to check out!

The fans are probably good I don't think they get used as much as other systems. The foam would be what I would suspect. Over time it deteriorates.

I know there is a plastic duct that goes up the back of the seat back but there has to be channels in the foam that allow the air to come up through the perforations.

That's my guess.

OP
OP
P

pkuchirka

Reaction score
Thank you. The foam makes sense! I'll have to get them redone

slyrose

Reaction score
9131 is a picture of the working passenger seat, the other is the driver's seat with the non-functioning bottom. Ordered a used one and it doesn't heat or cool either.

IMG_9131.JPG

IMG_9134.JPG

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
9131 is a picture of the working passenger seat, the other is the driver's seat with the non-functioning bottom. Ordered a used one and it doesn't heat or cool either.

View attachment 20971

View attachment 20972
Welcome to the forum. Did the seat that you bought specially have heating and cooling in it or was it a non heat and cooled seat?

slyrose

Reaction score
I bought the TED to replace a non-functioning unit in the heated/cooled seat that came in the auto.

OP
OP
P

pkuchirka

Reaction score
I wonder if there is a separate module or relay under the seat... there no fuses blown. Pass seat does not work at all

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder if there is a separate module or relay under the seat... there no fuses blown. Pass seat does not work at all

There was a TSB about the control module for the heating and cooled seats in the 2nd gens that said something about a terminal that overheated and burn out. You might try searching for the climate controlled seat module or something like that to see if you can find it. I also think there was a couple of videos on YouTube.