Heater hose

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

p38fln

Reaction score
Story time:
Yesterday the heater hose blew on my 2007 Expedition while I was climbing a long, shallow hill leading from the Mississippi river valley to I35E in Saint Paul.

3 gallons of antifreeze blew all over everything under the hood, and I fixed it on the side of I-494.

I also got all kinds of codes
Cylinder A coil open
Cylinder C coil open
Cylinder 1 misfire
Cylinder 4 misfire
Lost communication with BCM
Lost communication with IPC
Cylinder head max temperature exceeded (Pretty sure this one was accompanied by the loudest clutch fan engagement I've ever heard except on a semi truck).

I finally got the thing back home and let it dry out in the garage and after 24 hours on a dehumidifier all the codes cleared and didn't come back except for cylinder 4 misfire. I swapped coils for #4 and #1 and the misfire stayed with #4.

Some more drying and #4 is finally starting to fire again, about 10% of the time.

God what a freaking mess.

2013Tuxedo

Reaction score
I think this just happened to me this weekend but I haven't found the leak yet. And you're right about that fan! If this truck dies I'll steal the fan for an airboat...

Not fun fact: I once blew an engine on that same hill, going west up 494 in the S. St. Paul/Newport area, a dead oil pump killed a 16 year old 70k GMC 4.3L V6...

OP
OP
P

p38fln

Reaction score
Did you blow the coolant out of the sparkplug wells with compressed air ?
See if I had been SMART I would have done that. Instead, I used paper towels, propane torpedo heater, dehumidifier and a baby diaper (the diaper was to get the water out of the PCM connections).

Misfire is totally gone now.

OP
OP
P

p38fln

Reaction score
I think this just happened to me this weekend but I haven't found the leak yet. And you're right about that fan! If this truck dies I'll steal the fan for an airboat...

Not fun fact: I once blew an engine on that same hill, going west up 494 in the S. St. Paul/Newport area, a dead oil pump killed a 16 year old 70k GMC 4.3L V6...
Yep, that's the hill.

Mine started leaking at the quick-connect by the supply pipe to the rear heater, then two days after I replaced that fitting the hose actually blew off of the T at the engine end on 494.

jimbosidecar

Reaction score
Story time:
Yesterday the heater hose blew on my 2007 Expedition while I was climbing a long, shallow hill leading from the Mississippi river valley to I35E in Saint Paul.

3 gallons of antifreeze blew all over everything under the hood, and I fixed it on the side of I-494.

I also got all kinds of codes
Cylinder A coil open
Cylinder C coil open
Cylinder 1 misfire
Cylinder 4 misfire
Lost communication with BCM
Lost communication with IPC
Cylinder head max temperature exceeded (Pretty sure this one was accompanied by the loudest clutch fan engagement I've ever heard except on a semi truck).

I finally got the thing back home and let it dry out in the garage and after 24 hours on a dehumidifier all the codes cleared and didn't come back except for cylinder 4 misfire. I swapped coils for #4 and #1 and the misfire stayed with #4.

Some more drying and #4 is finally starting to fire again, about 10% of the time.

God what a freaking mess.
I feel for ya. My heater core started leaking all over everything inside the dash, the floor, you name it.