HELP!!! 05 5.4 oil pump???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
B

BrandonH13

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No the shop still has it til we get everything situated with a lawyer. The person that said to run thicker weight oil was the tech at ford. He said he has heard of it helping the pressure. The place working on it though, did not drop the pan because he said that when they "pushed" the tensioner together it went back complete so there was no missing parts from it. He also said they "cleaned" the valve body and the vct solenoids had the screens so they didn't replace them either. He did say that when they worked on it, that the engine was clean and didn't have any sign of sludge.

Sadly they also picked it up monday from ford and he called to tell me that is was actually running fine. He drove it for 45 minutes and it heated up and ran like it should with no rough idle, dieing, or codes. It has been sitting at ford for 2 weeks, so could the computer of reset or some sensor? It was also like 60 degrees instead of the 70+ it has been, so maybe the oil didn't get upto temp? I dont think that would happen though, since it didnt matter before and would start doing everything when it even started getting warm. At this point I am stumped, but have to wait til we pay the shop to get the truck...which we are waiting on our lawyer to see if we are sueing the dealer we bought it from or what....so the waiting game continues :(

Richard Lewis

Reaction score
That really sucks but i really think now that you said its running fine now thats its the vct solonoids or 1 of them the vct is what controls your timing it controls oil pressure to you cam phazers and eather retards or advances your timing so if you put thicker oil in it you can slow down the pressure thats why ford only recomends 5w20 on the 5.4 triton engine anything thicker can and will cause problems i would have them install the vct solonoid on wichever bank your having the issue and see if it clears up the problem solonoids fail intermittenly all the time

Richard Lewis

Reaction score
Also unless he had the whole front of the engine off he could not check the tensioner its down to far to see it or feel it you have to pull the timing cover off wich is a job on its own

OP
OP
B

BrandonH13

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The shop took it apart to see if when they installed the timing chains, guide, arms, phasers if they messed something up. That is when they "realized" the tensioners were now bad and replaced both of them. They put it back together and it did the same, so that is when they took it to ford. I haven't seen, heard, or drove the truck for almost 2 months now. So I don't know if it is one side or both that are making the noise. If it shuts off like it had been, then I would want to say that both sides are messing up??? They brought it back from ford and put it inside there shop and haven't touched it since, so it still has the same 5w20 oil and everything as it had before. Come to think of it though, ford said it was timing incorrectly on bank 1, but I am sure that was after the fact that they put the tensioners on so I will have to tell them that and have them fix it before we get it back.

OP
OP
B

BrandonH13

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sorry to bring back a dead thread. We just picked the truck up today from the repair place. Seems to run better and doesn't get AS bad of the knocking sound. Still wants to die and will die after warmed up. When they took it to ford, ford said it was off timing probably by a tooth because the phasers fire one and then the other right after. I am starting to wonder if its timed right if it will run right. We can do anything til the court thing is over though so it will have to wait to see.

wink

Reaction score
there are too things you can do replace it or work with your Ford Expedition repair mechanic. the oil pump is on the crank behind the balancer and timing chain cover

Last edited:

cboling67

Reaction score
I have a 2003 expy withn the 5.4 and when I try and start it it says low oil pressure in the message center and it will not start. I just keep bumping the starter until it finally builds oil pressure and the sending unit I guess allows the engine to start. Sometimes it takes 3 or bumps of the ignition before it will start. I think I heard it knock like once or twice. Other than that it runs great. Any advice on where to start first. I do apologize for hijacking the thread but I am new to forums.