Help diagnosing clunking suspension noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheDoug

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a weird clunking noise coming from front suspension when I go off pavement or on rough road. It seems to be worse when cold.

I have hellwig sway bars and I have double checked end links. I also have skid plates and I have doubled checked clearances on those as well. Nothing is rubbing or banging.

I looked at front strut and nothing seems to be leaking. I have CCD suspension. Could a strut be bad without visible leaks? Where else should I look?

Thanks in advance everyone.

apex96

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Checked upper and lower ball joints? Typically ball joints will pop when failing but it’s worth a look.

Are you certain the end links aren’t bad, they can still feel good but are wearing internally and making grooves in the ball end.

The bushings that the sway bar runs through may be going bad and it’s shifting against the frame causing the clunk.

Check tie rod ends as well for excessive play.

Also want to add that I’ve had end links fail in the rear and the sound traveled through the chassis and sounded like it was occurring in the front end. Don’t overlook your rear end mounting points as well.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TheDoug

TheDoug

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have checked the rear as well... All sway bar end links have less than 20k on them and look good.

I have not checked tie rods or ball joints though, thanks for the tip.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hellwigs front sway bar bushings are junk. Mine go bad every 20,000 miles and they clunk on every seam in the road now.

OP
OP
TheDoug

TheDoug

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hellwigs front sway bar bushings are junk. Mine go bad every 20,000 miles and they clunk on every seam in the road now.

I should have mentioned I replaced mine shortly after I bought them with the ones recommended on this forum. (The hellwig ones were crap)

LouG921

Reaction score
I recently got a 2nd Gen, 2006 Expedition with the clunking noise. The front suspension parts looked great.
One mechanic said steering rack.
One alignment shop that charged for diagnosis said steering rack, + bushings and big bucks.
Another alignment shop that charged for diagnosis could not say, but said start with sway bar links.
On the forum, there was a mention in a couple posts about sway bar links.
Sway bar links cured the clunks !
Suggest you change sway bar links - cheapest part of the suspension.
The question I have is "Don't these professional technicians know anything?"