Help... Fuel Gauge Diagnosis

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
R

Robert K

Reaction score
It may apply to my model, looks like the reading on the FUEL is the analog to digital conversion, not fuel level. I'm starting to feel as if I have an instrument cluster failure as well as a sending unit failure. I could easily deal with the instrument cluster failure, but the thought of dropping the fuel tank seems like more of a hassle than what I want to deal with. I guess I could monitor the fuel level by keeping an average MPG log and use my odometer as the trigger point for refueling.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You can take the cluster out and fix the odometer and check the traces to the gauge.
If you replace the cluster then new one needs to be married to the pcm or you're not going anywhere.

OP
OP
R

Robert K

Reaction score
Pencil, paper and simple math might be lesser of a headache... starting to hate the computer stuff in the cars these days.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Dropping the fuel tank isn't all the bad of a job ass long as the tank is near empty

Look back to the wiring diagram and look at the fuel sender Follow the wire from the sender to C148 and if you have a ohm meter read the resistance between those two wires

You should get something between 15 ohms (empty) to 160 ohms (full)

Sending you a PM check the inbox

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Go back and look at print 25-07 If you look at where the sending unit connects to the Inst Cluster from C148 you will see circuit 29 With C148 disconnected ground that wire that goes from the male side of C148 Make a jumper wire and connect circuit 29 to the NEG battery terminal then turn the key to run DO NOT START This should cause the fuel gauge to read empty If the gauge still doesn't move then time to repair or replace the INST cluster

John Stover

Reaction score
My 01s gauge will work accurately once in a while but mostly stays at exactly one-half of a tank. When the ignition is off, the gauge zeros out. I have been relying on the trip odo, but would like to correct this problem with the gauge. Anyone's suggestions would be welcome. For the record, all other functions on the cluster work normally

OP
OP
R

Robert K

Reaction score
Hey John, sounds like your fuel sending unit may be periodically sticking in the tank. In my research, people have said that a good fuel cleaner may take care of the problem, otherwise you'll have to replace the unit.

Unfortunately, my situation just got a little worse. As I said in my original post, the seller lied about many things - he also failed to mention that he replaced the dash board to show lower mileage and may have disconnected the check engine light. When I tried to get it inspected, I have four sensors not available. In an attempt to obtain a waiver, the history of inspection showed that my Expedition actually had 337K miles at last inspection, rather than the 159K that was showing on the odometer when I purchased it.