Help me choose a used Expedition for towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

07xln

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'd look for a rig with the 5.4L Triton V8 instead of a twin turbo V6. There's just no way the higher compression and higher RPM on the turbo will last as long as the big lump.

:facepalm::goofy_batman::lol::nono::whymewhyme: Here we go again. Another one who has no idea what he's talking about

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The V8 will be cheaper though

You can get an SSV for like $3k. As bang for your buck towing goes, that's pretty unbeatable.

FisherPete

Full Access Members
Reaction score
:facepalm::goofy_batman::lol::nono::whymewhyme: Here we go again. Another one who has no idea what he's talking about
It's that wacky stuff called physics and engineering. If you choose to ignore science that's great, but I can guarantee you can't change physical reality. Good luck with your "theory".

coolzzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Uh, the twin turbo DOES NOT run higher RPM. The big lump, as you call the V8, will run considerably higher rpm in All towing situations compared to the itty bitty V6. Recall that the twin turbo has 90% of its 400 pound feet torque available at 2k rpm. I have owned and towed with both power plants in the mountains so I'm not just theorizing here.