Help me decide what to do

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JHolden

Reaction score
So I got myself a 2007 Expedition XLT 5.4L 3v (217k) for $2500. It was meant to me a upgrade on my 2004. However 6 weeks in I think I made a mistake. In the 2 years before it came to me its had $5300 of work done on it including:

4 Brand new Goodyear Wrangler tires

New Spark Plugs and Coils

Rear ball joints

New Fuel pump and filter

New serpentine belt and tensioner.

Front Pads, Calipers, Rotors

New Muffler

Front upper and lower ball joints

Since I have had it I have Welded the frame, Front Hub, Front Ball Joint, battery, Transmission fluid change (to fix the shudder). This weekend I will be doing Both Rear hubs.

further problems I know about but haven't tackled yet are
Needs a new TPMS sensor, and a universal joint for the steering column, I am missing a exhaust manifold stud.

Also when I started to replace the VVT solenoid but aborted that project as I found it wasn't needed (transmission fluid change). I now get the codes 0340 and 0344 that wont go away.

Did I buy a Lemon? what's going to go wrong next? I cant afford to keep throwing money at it. so should I sell it? or is there light at the end on the tunnel?

Thoughts to help me decide?

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's 5300 is really just $1k worth of parts... possibly less, if good takeoff wheel/tire combos would have been utilized

Why did you need to weld frame??

Your codes are hopefully loose or oxidized connections or frayed wiring

OP
OP
J

JHolden

Reaction score
The frame had a couple rust holes in the front wheel wells. in each wheel well there is a triangular plate strengthening a weld, Apparently its fairly typical that a rust hole forms under this.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea that plate rusts till it falls off, happens on alot of them.

Last edited:

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not sure if I follow. You bought a 11-year-old vehicle with over 200K for $2500 and were hoping it'd be maintenance-free?

Most of what you listed (that somebody else paid for) gets replaced on everything at some point regardless of make/model. Tires, pads and rotors, batteries, fluids, mufflers, fuel filters, plugs, coils, TPMS sensors, belt and tensioner and so on. This stuff doesn't last forever.

However - hubs, ball joints, steering u-joint, brake calipers, muffler - not completely unheard of needing replaced or servicing eventually but considering the truck is subject to the climate you live in, it really comes as no surprise.

The previous owner took the beating and they'd probably still be driving it had they spent a little money with Ziebart, Krown, or bought car washes throughout the winter.

rollavvti06

Full Access Members
Reaction score
But even then 2500 is a steal around these parts... all 3rd gens are at least 5k around here with high miles. Some 2007, 2008 ive seen go for 10 grand

OP
OP
J

JHolden

Reaction score
No I obviously expect there will be maintenance there always will be. I am just wondering if this is typical. is it the good deal I thought it was?

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Idk for $2500 bucks you can’t go wrong if it rolls forward...

I’m at 163,000 miles I’ve done new tires, all brakes and rotors, both rear wheel bearings, front ABS sensor, transmission fluid and filter change, radiator coolant change, replaced horn assembly, TPMS sensors, HVAC door actuator, 4WD solenoid, 4WD actuator, serpentine belt and tensioner, and the rear wiper transmission all in the last year.... while all this was not necessary as the miles rack up things come down the pipe and it’s best to keep up on it or the truck becomes a mess. Maintenance is a given as an auto ages.

Last edited:

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you read our forum, and I hope you do, you know that 2005-08 models are either great, or problematic. Basically you jumped into this deal without a mechanical, and body inspection. If all is fixed for now, you can put it on trial. You can always bail, if it gets bad. I bought a 84 Lincoln Mark 7 that had a stack of repair papers from previous owner. On top of that, 3 weeks into purchase plastic timing gears stripped out, man I was pissed! After that, turned out to be a great car. Kept 17 years! Cried when I drove to buy back wreckers. Breaking up with hot girlfriends didn't hurt that bad!

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

John Christopher

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's 5300 is really just $1k worth of parts... possibly less, if good takeoff wheel/tire combos would have been utilized

Why did you need to weld frame??

Your codes are hopefully loose or oxidized connections or frayed wiring

False. I don't know how you could think that all those parts would only cost $1000 especially since you live in California. They are probably worth $1500 or more.

Last edited: