Help me decide what to do

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

John Christopher

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If the motor and trans are in good shape, I would keep the truck. With what you paid and everything that has been already repaired your ahead of the curve.

Plati

Reaction score
Here is what my 03 XLT cost me in repairs over the years. Didn't include tires but this is everything else. Before 2007 it was pretty much warranty since I bought it new. Some work I did myself and some had a shop do. average $820/year
2018 --> $388
2017 --> $784
2016 --> $751
2015 --> $1917
2014 --> $60
2013 --> $337
2012 --> $444
2011 --> $41
2010 --> $2709
2009 --> $45
2008 --> $1820
2007 --> $546

A wise man once said its gonna run you about $1000 a year in repairs.

The thing is a rust bucket now and I need to carefully consider how much its worth before I pump any more cash into it. Any repair more than what its worth "aint gonna happen". I'm not really sure what its worth though so thats a puzzle.

OP
OP
J

JHolden

Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys, this is the discussion I was looking for. I was at a low point and questioning my decision to buy. It always takes me a few weeks to trust a new car and to figure out its rumbles and rattles. I think this relationship just got off to a rocky start.

OP
OP
J

JHolden

Reaction score
Moose, I am fairly new to the forum, its like drinking from the firehose of knowledge for these trucks.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
3 1/2 years back I was the new kid here myself. Give it a month or two, before you decide. If it turns out your not in love, but just had an expensive fling, those can be fun too! Then do like you would to a bad date, give the old girl cab fare, and say goodbye. Cars like women are just around the corner, looking for someone to take them home!

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
3 1/2 years back I was the new kid here myself. Give it a month or two, before you decide. If it turns out your not in love, but just had an expensive fling, those can be fun too! Then do like you would to a bad date, give the old girl cab fare, and say goodbye. Cars like women are just around the corner, looking for someone to take them home!

:eek:

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Then do like you would to a bad date, give the old girl cab fare, and say goodbye. Cars like women are just around the corner, looking for someone to take them home!

I love this forum

lvcjt702

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Wait!

Was this a purchase or a rental?[emoji848]

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Could be worse, we could be an old British, or Italian car forum! Nothing hotter but what a pain, a 1960's Ferrari, or a 1960's tall brunette from Italy. Both worth the trouble. The Ferrari singing at 8,000 rpm the brunette on your arm when you show up in the Ferrari at your 40 year high school reunion!

humper

Reaction score
So I got myself a 2007 Expedition XLT 5.4L 3v (217k) for $2500. It was meant to me a upgrade on my 2004. However 6 weeks in I think I made a mistake. In the 2 years before it came to me its had $5300 of work done on it including:

4 Brand new Goodyear Wrangler tires

New Spark Plugs and Coils

Rear ball joints

New Fuel pump and filter

New serpentine belt and tensioner.

Front Pads, Calipers, Rotors

New Muffler

Front upper and lower ball joints

Since I have had it I have Welded the frame, Front Hub, Front Ball Joint, battery, Transmission fluid change (to fix the shudder). This weekend I will be doing Both Rear hubs.

further problems I know about but haven't tackled yet are
Needs a new TPMS sensor, and a universal joint for the steering column, I am missing a exhaust manifold stud.

Also when I started to replace the VVT solenoid but aborted that project as I found it wasn't needed (transmission fluid change). I now get the codes 0340 and 0344 that wont go away.

Did I buy a Lemon? what's going to go wrong next? I cant afford to keep throwing money at it. so should I sell it? or is there light at the end on the tunnel?

Thoughts to help me decide?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dcleghorn01