Help Pls!! Shudder/Hiccup/Hesitation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MavrickMA

Reaction score
Hi Guys, Need your help again....

My '03 Expy XLT w/ 4.6 is acting up again and I have no idea what the cause is.

Problem:

1.) I've got a shudder that happens mostly around 45mph with just the slightest bit of gas (if you let off the gas, then give it just enough to bring the RPMs back up and have it shift down into OD). Intermittent problem, no real pattern that I can see yet. Shudders enough to physically feel it and move in the seat. No sound associated with it. No high-rev, no loss of power, no "service engine soon" light, give it gas and it goes away.

2.) This problem happens even less than #1 and is even harder to explain. From a stop, if you take off (amount of gas given is irrelevant), I will sometimes lose engine power for exactly 1 second, then it comes back. Now, I don't mean that the engine dies completely. The engine is running for this 1 second, and I have all electical power as well. You'll be accelerating, then you'll lose all acceleration for exactly 1 second, then it will come back up again to where it was and you'll go on your way. And it will be fine for the rest of the day. I've had it happen 4 times in the last 6 weeks.

Work Recently Done:

1.) Transmission Service @ local transmission shop (fluid/filter/check) (problems occured prior to this work being done and shop found no obvious problems - when asked if there were any issues he noted that he looked for problems and couldn't find any)
2.) Spark Plugs/Coil Boots/Coil Springs changed (used Bosch Platinum +2 plugs) (problems occured prior to the boots & springs being changed, but I'm not sure if it was there or not before the plugs were changed)
3.) Complete check by my local mechanic (I'm going on a 2000 mile road trip in August and wanted to make sure that it was in tip-top shape). He found nothing obviously wrong with it.
4.) Seafoam in the motor/engine/gas tank/transmission (in transmission/engine prior to fluid changes)
5.) Oil change
6.) K&N Intake Kit Filter Cleaned & Oiled

***UPDATE:***

I just came home from work. When I started it, I gave it a little gas and was revving it. I noticed a shudder when I first hit the gas, in the low RPM range - Up high, it smooth. This shudder is noticeable when taking off from a start as well, though not as pronounced. Also, problem #2 happened when I left right after that. Only doing 'bout 20mph leaving the parking lot. There was still no "service engine soon" light, but I decided to try and read it and see if had thrown any codes. Sure enough, it threw a P03E8 code. Can't figure out what that means. Any help would really be appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:

blown87notch

Reaction score
Mine did the same thing, I put in new coils and it has been fine. One of my coils was bad the other ones was jumping threw the boot.

Why did you go through all the work of plugs boots springs and not the coils. They sell the coils with boots and springs for like $130 for all 8 and they work great IMO.

Chris

Reaction score
I will Amen that I was having the same problem for a couple of weeks but it stopped took it into the shop anyway and they said that it was my ignition coil that went bad and they replaced the ignition coil. Good thing that it was the extended warranty covered.