Help! Trying to diagnose AC issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ColoradoJon

Reaction score
Just had my AC go out this past week. Had it already scheduled at the dealer and they said it was empty. Couldn't find the leak. Pretty random at 63k to not have a clear reason. Just went on a 1600 mile trip and had no issues.

wakeboarder

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just had my AC go out this past week. Had it already scheduled at the dealer and they said it was empty. Couldn't find the leak. Pretty random at 63k to not have a clear reason. Just went on a 1600 mile trip and had no issues.
I added 8 oz at the end of June. It lasted until the beginning of August. The AC shop couldn’t find the issue, so they added dye. I think it is a very slow leak. They told me to come back if it starts blowing warm again.

Mr Big

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Update...so I charged my system with about 12 oz of r1234yf using the honeywell service cans. The system began to cool normally again and has worked normally for a couple of weeks.
I guess I have diagnosed a slow leak. Let the games begin...
Check your caps to make sure the gasket is still good, or you don't have one. Just like home A/C systems, Valves tend to have small seepage, causing the freon to leak out over months. So, we put rubber gaskets in the cap to keep that tiny little leak stopped. I did this on my Ford Excursion when the pressures were low every season. Never had an issue for years after the gasket install.

ncszot84

Reaction score
Hi,
2019 Exp max. I'm having similar issues with a slow leak not showing up on dye or sniffer, multiple checks by the shop. It takes about 6 months to lose a full charge and been through that twice. Shop replaced the shrader vales. Other than the valve cap gasket idea (which I will try) have others tracked this down to another slow leak spot? I've read the under dash evaporator, rear evaporator, and compressor front seal...mostly stuff cant see. Thanks,

wakeboarder

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi,
2019 Exp max. I'm having similar issues with a slow leak not showing up on dye or sniffer, multiple checks by the shop. It takes about 6 months to lose a full charge and been through that twice. Shop replaced the shrader vales. Other than the valve cap gasket idea (which I will try) have others tracked this down to another slow leak spot? I've read the under dash evaporator, rear evaporator, and compressor front seal...mostly stuff cant see. Thanks,
Mine is still working fine since the recharge. I’ll report back when it recurs.

2018ExpyPlatinum

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've never been overly impressed with the AC in this vehicle. I've complained on here several times. Compared to my wife's RAV4, it sucks. I've had it checked by my dealer twice and been told "it's fine, no issues". It did seem better late summer this year. I am due for service in a few months. Maybe I'll ask again with my new dealer and see what happens.

Mr Big

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've never been overly impressed with the AC in this vehicle. I've complained on here several times. Compared to my wife's RAV4, it sucks. I've had it checked by my dealer twice and been told "it's fine, no issues". It did seem better late summer this year. I am due for service in a few months. Maybe I'll ask again with my new dealer and see what happens.
My 2019 Platinum freezes me out. And my wife's 2021 Explorer is the same. Both systems cool down fast and maintain 70 degrees or lower on even the hottest Florida summer months. I'm not sure why yours is not doing its job, unless you have a leak or somehow you are getting heat mixed with the A/C. My 2000 Excursion had an issue with vacuum, where the heat valve was staying open causing the A/C to blow warm air. I fixed the leak, and it went back to the same results as my newer Fords.

2018ExpyPlatinum

Full Access Members
Reaction score
@Mr Big .......I really don't know either, nor do they. I've kinda just excepted the fact that it just doesn't do the job. I have another (AZ) summer to go thru, and then I think it's gone....sadly. I won't keep it beyond the extended warranty period....I don't think.

kahewitt02

Reaction score
My 2018 expedition has never had cold a/c…everything has been replaced…recently brought it in, sat for 2 weeks and they tell me I need new heater hoses, coolant leak. Going to try and do it myself this weekend and save $1049.

Going_Going_Gone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The AC in our 2019 has been outstanding too. My previous Ford was a 2010 F-150 crew cab and the AC in it was pitiful.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gnorman