Help!! wont pull uphill

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stalecracker

Reaction score
1999 expy 5.4.I live near vegas,my expy wont go over 70mph pulling empty 14ft railer and only 45 ish with load.It runs ok just wont accelerate...I am mechanic but been out business fir while..ANY IDEAS?? NEW PLUGS,NEW DUEL FILTER ,AIR CLEANER GOOD

Russell Lewis

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Is your trans slipping or converter not locking up ? Lived in CA for 19years not to many really bad grade hills at all. Motor RPM but no output?

If motor just is not doing it then Yes. Plugs, air and fuel filter, clean mass air flow.

Use Sea Foam in gas tank and threw throttle body. Sold in store and online few bucks more in store.

7BE6DFC1-B525-43CE-8017-78DAA81C09D7.jpeg

Russell Lewis

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What gears does it have?

3.31 and 3.55 both should have no problems. On the rear diff metal tag it will show or call dealer give vin will tell you gearing.

Or check the door piller/door sticker will tell you.

A6C89490-223F-403F-9C48-76DC0696953F.jpeg

Last edited:

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Depending on the hills and altitude, 3.55 gears may struggle. And weight of the trailer.

Check your throttle cable stretch. Remove the air intake tube and have an assistant (or a jack stand) push the gas pedal all the way. Look at how far the throttle plate is open. It should be "flat".