Hi from THE Buckeye state !!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kekman

Reaction score
New member from Ohio who just bought a 2017 Ford Expy Limited 4WD with Ecoboost engine. It is a certified pre-owned vehicle and am pleased with it so far. Primary use is to tow our boat and haul grandkids around (usually at same time). Reason for Limited was heavy duty tow package= stnd.

I grew up and raced Chevy's for years. My career took off in Fleet Maintenance with an international trucking company and started getting company cars- they were all Fords: mostly Taurus and an Edge. I put 40,000 miles a year on these cars over the Eastern US and Canada. They were great cars. I would buy them when the time expired. Made a believer out of me.

Needed something to tow the boat as we trailer all over the eastern US- some great lakes out there to share with family and friends. Needed something to tow 7000 lbs. I am not really a truck guy, so we looked at the Expy's. Started looking at 2012-2014. Just seemed every Expy had corrosion problems at left front corner of hood and all along rear hatch bottom seam weld. Other than the corrosion, they seemed to hold up well. The CFO of the family (my wife) decided to look at something newer and this car hit the radar. Ford dealer was great- did a good deal- and now it is in my garage soon to be hooked up to the boat. First thing I did was rustproof. Second thing was Weathertech inside, bug deflector, mudflaps.

I really appreciate the help on this forum. I wish I would have found it before buying the car- would have saved me some time! I was an ASE Heavy Duty Master Mechanic but I let most certificates expired as I am close to retirement and no longer needed. There are some skilled people on this site w/ great info!

One last thing- huge Ohio State Buckeye fan- Go Bucks!

Dorzak

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Welcome, I have a 2016 Expedition EL XLT and despite the few problems I have had I love it. The corrosion is discussed extensively on here. It can affect our years. Issue is with iron contamination in the aluminum tailgate and hood. Protecting the surface won’t prevent it. If less than 36k original miles Ford will cover it. After that takes some pushing.

Edmund K

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Welcome, fellow Ohioan! I'm down near Cincy and Dayton. How do you like that light colored interior so far? I've been thinking about getting another Expy, but have always had the black interiors. Do you find it getting dirty/fingerprints/general wear marks? I've got four kiddos and am afraid to look into anything that shows MORE dirt! Best of luck with your beautiful new ride!

OP
OP
kekman

kekman

Reaction score
I have 10 grandkids and use this to tow a boat every weekend from May thru October- so they are jumping in and out after full days on the lake- wet swimming suites, fishing gear, waterboard gear, etc. I always had dark interiors in my cars in past for same reasons you mentioned until the last SUV- a Jeep Grand Cherokee with tan leather interior and carpet. Same worries as you expressed. Had it for 8 years- other than finally wearing out the leather, no issues. Leather cleans easily. I put a protecterant on them once a year. Had WeatherTeck floorliners and cargo mat- loved them. Kept the carpet from being ruined from water. Leather cleaned up nice from spills. They did fade a little and eventually the stitching gave away on entry sides. Regarding color- had no issues.

What I like about the EXPY is light color seats and panel trim, dark carpet. Nice contrast.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dcleghorn01