HID projector retrofit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

houlster

Reaction score
Finally got started on a HID projector retrofit that I've been wanting to do for a couple years now.

Morimoto mini d2s 4.0
Replica Lightning headlights

First I wasn't sure if these would actually fit. I gather they *can*, but might touch the inside of the cover just barely & cutting some clearance into the opening of the headlight bucket is needed. I wanted to go a little further. I've noticed I like look of the FXR conversions better (where they cut the crap out of the bucket) vs the mini H1's that just plug in. I like projector & shroud to sit back deeper in the bucket as far as they can.

I placed my shrouds in the headlight bucket first, all the way back. Did some measuring, some head scratching, rooting through some PVC fittings and sooo...

I came up with this trying to minimize chance of mis-alignment from cutting the headlight bucket. I started with some PVC pipe fittings. These are 2" pipe x 1.5" threaded connectors & have a nice, flat, right-angle surface on the inside. Original, and modified / cut down.

bBr9KXTdKd1PCbswCcsL00sCucSbBKUGdfTpXOGF5RE6hDw5wWp-ihtv7xTsRI3UhfWOMGXolcXSGNs=w1000

TpkANUsahQ4GC8cvl1vfKNPrgIdiJiE2SeUn6xeXN2QHeBeEXr3bna4R-KUd6UxV1PnIqXWbAS-RS1M=w1000

I did this on my mini-lathe, but you could do this with a saw & flat sanding surface without too much trouble. Main thing to make sure is the inside flat of the big end is parallel to the outside ring of the small end. Pics make more sense...

This is how it'll fit. The adapter will be epoxied to the back of the headlight bucket using the original bulb holder surface to locate it while the epoxy sets up. Should be lined up well, just back about 3/4" from not cutting the bucket.

n1aPR-6nmwAB2iFKTMdoStZaJFGR824Ff4CiAbhpGXvs1yI3q-lnd_EaclWuPfJSyB2LUNtfkFEqoek=w1000

Big end is cut down enough that it can sit flat on the back of the headlight / bulb holder area and the sides just clear the rear of the bucket. This makes sure the new locating surface for the projector (back of the small end) is centered & parallel to the original bulb holder.

rGhCqhYc7rY1sTIZkYmJzePo-g7evHt4kdsIERBywjDlSbIYS_pxcsV6Ml_vDJt3EwmZ3PB275gy4t4=w1000

9sbDUWMqzWG7ptKj0bwZgAaIOp5l-r90SUojUB6GWqnSfHSDNCZe2CCtxOUQp3OQ9ALuRv4xwlIZ3o8=w1000

I used a little RTV to stick the adapter to the back of the headlight to hold it firmly in place. After drying, JB welded around it. That's enough to hold it in place, but I'll likely add a layer of epoxy / fiberglass over it all before I'm done.

FYvTaNIMEV4fG3v0T4XhJGgrHmPzf2K7yIwizykubIt2q3QhaohznGXsEoIqyYwkrpKrjcUO8tZ1okY=w1000

Then used a 3/4" PVC cap with a hole in it as a guide for my hole saw. Just stuck a 1/4" rod in the hole saw & used the biggest one I had that was still smaller than the ID of my adapter (2" IIRC?).

cjU468BHR4VJ2GJqlRMBJ3o4K6g2HaI6TTmcWL3mdEUmHJCmUE8tvZkqNZbsgQrY2twuuZy8FaJkaR8=w1000

ppGoURECuG7gSwAQWEJjcM0CFLqHuYPLV_GfhhQJWf0IW19g3wq_alyD6qqFCvaTIU-Yl3yCzC79bbQ=w1000

YhfF9QwPUUml1iwqqlziGMHxVk3q7dHmS7GHQFBinWTV2_1VqdRBIuCZHXIaXJlIL_i2qKbnIxHb2J8=w1000

5hY9rfG-_V70_iPypE93arH-0hbdAmNFSNHMDfDrIO2maeaszBgKSXsnK_DsQK1I1unO5Z3cb3Dj10U=w1000

Saw made quick work of the initial cut.

rYUc06Kp17fVzH_yp21uDaW4u6T044E4DY0hZOoXFeatTdYWxoLpa4p547us6K7EQpe-JXa3ffghjws=w1000

FtGdAjBT9lJQfOVtKO77IXPgjHkpc5zCN5fPX-3eK4CBTGUvhBF4STDp8A1f1UWLBetDxjFwXFML8CU=w1000

Sanding drum on a Dremel made quick work of expanding that out to my adapter ID. Top and bottom of the hole have clearance just being straight. I had to taper the sides out a good bit more than shown here to clear the projector body all the way around.

caNktizRE7EjeoAvjyZIqdYYxGW3D5oCllmlchrtHifGkrRp0vXJI-lbiMWOzdvSKsG_xaHcAMPd6qI=w1000

--Dan

OP
OP
H

houlster

Reaction score
Test fitting projector:

1CTlraxGPsC2EHKePvZyn2ef2AdOZUBZXmDOWDGQvjXSk6ot1w_pjF5ESlvuOSEL7N-Zpkkr6CAR4GY=w1000

BKgvnM0-TbVMY8AhGL5ZVXnEn7vxFFjN9JSXX3AfaSg7YDi359BoDnGmQLGBAs8P-gs6oa-RzjXF5oQ=w1000

My shrouds are Apollo 2.0 flat sided. I really couldn't have planned a more perfect fit. They snap on with no twisting or side pressure and sit right up to the back of the bucket. No trimming.

FKDGbndbvYP5XuHQA6bMj1v93AUMS3GxA4GiOA0s-eHLcV2gTfekxUu3yOz6Gh12OQckn2utBe5jSXc=w1000

Zr7oKWe9InAx_lRw0cyapYLoSreD-sJf9syZCFDgJQRRdpePOYuXoSr0A-pyZ1hd4L9-6LBvaKLU0r4=w1000

iNt4jE_hfmYrJ9pGZ85rf4-3yXBuXKx1c234GeiqhZWEc2-pff_czgAe_pQRcd_YGHWplcX4TvwFZco=w1000

G3X5yUrmHW00HGnIGH6oaYjASjZYIihiQL3CsQgHrRFHtTAzTohRDQqH_E8T24blsdn1EJJmsb2uhXY=w1000

EoFdOR--ETKcKMeePnMHhaMZ3KIK0LVHjVhVbnmURDOgZLrkjk3nuIF0QABNb_1UtS96owPuOGTfasM=w1000

xHLp60fnT0pHXejQU8bcjm6id3R7SzG6epfvzIfhYwpu8-JA0riw8XqvTTTZysHBP0Llnc5_T2vq7x0=w1000

I realize the only thing holding these right now is the adapter epoxied to the back of the headlight. I have a couple ideas to sandwich the bucket to improve that a little. More to come.

z168

Full Access Members
Reaction score
good work - looks very stable. Love to see how it finally fits and the beam pattern of it

Grind

Reaction score
Ooh! I've got some new headlight ass'ys and projectors sitting on my workbench, while I ponder what to do about the shroud just touching the lens enough to prevent it from seating. Your method gives me hope. Thanks, mate!

OP
OP
H

houlster

Reaction score
I sealed up my ballasts today & started installing the wiring harness in the truck so I could test the projector alignment. I'm sure it's going to be good & well within adjustment range, but mostly wanted to check rotation.

c7incTQ8HzSlS9PMHFeLbQhVcrlesplTgVaijc1n7i7uftte9Eeaxp63lW3mF-iLna1Iuzd1bFQ2gzA=w1000

But ran into a problem. The connectors for the harness & the ballast don't match. My "kit" was supposed to have everything I needed, but didn't come with any adapter/pigtail/connector that I could even splice in myself. At the very least, I need the molded connector that plugs into the ballast. Also realized I didn't get my Gore-tex patches either... so I'm kinda idle till I get ahold of the vendor & get the parts.

Grind

Reaction score
BKgvnM0-TbVMY8AhGL5ZVXnEn7vxFFjN9JSXX3AfaSg7YDi359BoDnGmQLGBAs8P-gs6oa-RzjXF5oQ=w1000

I realize the only thing holding these right now is the adapter epoxied to the back of the headlight. I have a couple ideas to sandwich the bucket to improve that a little. More to come.

I would think you've got it pretty well sandwiched there, with the nut on the back of the projector housing. With the pipe fitting adapter JB welded on, it's probably stout enough that any further additions would be overkill.

whitelightning99

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would think you've got it pretty well sandwiched there, with the nut on the back of the projector housing. With the pipe fitting adapter JB welded on, it's probably stout enough that any further additions would be overkill.

was thinking the same but never hurts "the more the better" but if he ever has to pull them back apart it's goona be really hard to do can't wait to see them done,installed and working would love to do this on mine

OP
OP
H

houlster

Reaction score
was thinking the same but never hurts "the more the better" but if he ever has to pull them back apart it's goona be really hard to do can't wait to see them done,installed and working would love to do this on mine

The projectors are pretty front heavy with the glass lens and there's a lot of leverage working on the threaded shaft at the rear. I was concerned that the ABS may eventually loosen up if it was just pinched under the nut, or even the whole adapter be broken away from the bucket with that much leverage. Just wanna make sure. Removal won't be a problem later on if I need to.