HID projector retrofit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
H

houlster

Reaction score
I got my halo rings mounted. The HD something something switchbacks from Diode Dynamics. Has amber turns & 2 different brightness of white (bright for DRL & dimmer for headlights).

NvsiRoQkNBvfYpygVP1daVw1VO7LlOt6VabF7dte-s0kZUDBL9M6iWb_2ArqbKs-dxX1p_iVazicd10=w1200

Now for the extra support...

92gjo6cCc4KDGrg_kic7O1usQpBHOKxmVL_bG5J-RfIhUxnTlEOKmomCjMWjPj7I0UGXUyPoS_GW8u4=w1200

First put several coats of epoxy mold release on the projector bodies. Then mixed up some JB QuikSteel. This is a firm putty so holds it's shape pretty well. Started with a couple blobs around the opening...

tzTfEMIxC4ZMCAqDEMpfuZW2WdjxX3Paq9STk_oSuflGijhsT_eGzrcnEt3rrPrw_oCOXeES6r2Zaew=w1200

The projectors have a tabbed washer with a notch. One per projector, but for this I used both for this step. One on the projector body first, then inserted it into the bucket, then the 2nd on the back followed by the nut. This gives a metal washer on each side of the ABS flange for this step. Just made sure it went in at the correct rotation, tightened it up pretty snut & let the epoxy set up.

After 15 - 20 minutes, loosened the nut, screwed on the capped nut (that goes over the bulb) and rapped it a few times with a hammer while pulling a little on the projector to get it to pop out & it looks like this:

MRFmZo871tn3EWwsW8LtxFnR4EoKWkOCqcP6xbGFbCv7Sd3KXM4RKnwU6Dpqpdakh7YykGZIEMMkuUI=w1200

A couple more blobs...

F9ICti4GYZxG-k9_ZfNYor2Ym143OUetQOeeAaFvQ9peJGLQ22_WQ70fdD5CoWRsTIO85e6SqxT9CA4=w1200

For the 2nd I manged to do it all in one step. Just have to work quick as this stuff starts to set up in 3 - 5 minutes.

pIy4kwoZBTH6REFTbJImdRVuR-cSMW75fGBHVsmF2as1vCjiUgV_wlVsva2OoCRangTXMoPNvWYX6HA=w1200

So this makes a... uh... "saddle" I guess? Fits the projector body perfectly. With the inner washer removed the projector is pulled back into this saddle as the nut it tightened. It's on the inside of the bucket so it'll help pull the adapter and bucket together rather than relying on just the JBWeld to hold the adapter on the back. It also supports the projector a lot further forward than the nut so there's less leverage working on it. About halfway up the projector body. Make sense??

_DtfqmhLCmoTDGbgctPTtyu28pmghDMkkPBaZcuIKU0x1KtC_2WNIagA8q35iipEGxfKWDUjyTXE3Po=w1200

Test fit the cover. Hard to see, but there is a nice gap there. I'm guessing about 3/8" to 1/2". It'll be a little less when the cover's sucked in tight.

_k_w_lqnlPymBnvKPx3Lw-Lho2PK-MhiQ63ReQ3jDlKdMjgZ2AgmqMFiYWVbsFZmTX0DAONSDhmkbEo=w1200

Looking down from the top...
XJuA2jUeVsqm_X23F47gQMB9QTNNyYD9j8Q37ezNLTbTCbkXM9O9cOu_RskBDcAxGsjC3S37eXanGVg=w1200

I did get my missing wire adapters so I was able to test fit & try these out. Did a rough aim adjustment to try and make them match the old headlights. Still need to finish the wiring, but these are about ready to put back together I think.

--Dan

MISTERgadget

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I absolutely love this. Can't wait to see it on the truck. The D2S 4.0 really made me regret my Mini H! 7.0 setup, redoing them like this is on the to-do list for sure. The buckets you made to recess the projectors are awesome and the Apollo 2.0 shroud is one of my absolute favorites, same with the DD halos

OP
OP
H

houlster

Reaction score
Thanks fellas. I'm wanting this one to look good. Been out of town and/or sick so haven't gotten much done. I did start to clean up the lights & get them ready to seal. I figured alcohol would be safe to use... :(

I'm not sure what the chrome is made of, but it doesn't like alcohol. Switched to Plexus & that did fine, but I managed to strip the chrome in a small spot on the bucket. The shroud I was working on got royally effed up. So, I painted them. I don't want a completely blacked out look so I left a little chrome in them where it didn't get damaged. Should have them sealed up this week.

ZtMMVqvnxKcIjFrBsymavadr6E4x-TI6RfK7sV7JAAuIbkvUm2EodospBqe8OB9NMmJwrZYkcM39iDI=w1200

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
Anymore updates on this? I like the pvc extension you made but you could have saved some time by cutting out the rear of the bucket and using the nut and bolt mouning method like you would with the FXR. The pros are you have endless adjustability if something isn't perfect with alignment and you could recess the projector all the way back until you run out of room behind it. The only con is you have to seal the rear up but they make plenty of fittings to do so. Either way great work and looking forward to the output shots! Remember 25' or more from a wall to check alignment