High Idle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sphillips

Reaction score
I know there has been much written about this issue, but I would like to throw it out there again. I just purchased a 2000 XLT with 77,000 mile on it. It runs like a champ but it idles high. No CEL's, hooked up the scanner, no codes, runs smooth at all rpm's. Drove it for 1.5hrs Saturday, put it in park, idled at
1000 rpm. Issues are difficult to trace when no smoking gun such as a code.

Thx for any help,

steve

2004XLT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would start simple, unhook the battery and clean the throttle body and maf sensors, reconnect the battery after one hour then go thru the idle relearn procedure:

1.) start it in park with all accessories off
2.) idle till you reach operating temp
3.) turn ac on max, idle for one minute
4.) put in d while still running and ac on, let it idle for one minute
5.) go for a short drive see if that changes your idle

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just so you have a reference my 2000 5.4 idles at 775 rpm in park, and 675 in drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
S

sphillips

Reaction score
Thx to all for the input. I have a 5.4l engine. I'll give 2004xlt's test this weekend, if it warms up, been below 0 every morning for the last week

Thx again!

docraymund

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Check the IAC valve. Ignition on, probe connector harness side with volt meter. Should be 10.5 to 12.5 volts. If ok, check resistance of terminals of the valve itself should be 6 to 13 ohms. And check for short circuit (probe terminal and valve body) should be more than 10000 ohms. Good luck!

OP
OP
S

sphillips

Reaction score
Check the IAC valve. Ignition on, probe connector harness side with volt meter. Should be 10.5 to 12.5 volts. If ok, check resistance of terminals of the valve itself should be 6 to 13 ohms. And check for short circuit (probe terminal and valve body) should be more than 10000 ohms. Good luck!

Is it a 2 pin connector, one power and one ground?

Thx

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It is a 2 pin connector, at least on first generations, that's a great voltage/ ohm check Doc, thanks that should help from a lot of replacing of good parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coey326

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had the exact problem and went through all the test. When its was all said and done it was the IAC that went bad. A 10 minute fix and no problems since. Good luck