High mileage Expys?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bain64

Full Access Members
Reaction score
206k checking in! My wife's aunt got her new off the lot in 2003, sometime later it was loaned it to her mom for years, and I just bought the ol' girl in January.

Rich_007

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2001 5.4 270K.
Runs great. Had to have a fuel pump put in a few months ago.
Now I think I have the infamous cracked intake or something. Its leaking coolant. I see a little coolant leak onto the ground every time I start it after sitting overnight. I drive it 150-200 miles a week and the level in the reservoir goes down about a quart a week. Mechanic said he couldn't tell if it was the intake or a gasket. Said it was mostly labor so it would probably be smarter to change the intake while he was in there. Said the whole job should be under 700. Between being on a budget, living in an apartment (but I could still change the intake in the parking lot), the age and value of the vehicle, I am not sure what to do. Concerned I make the investment of time and money to fix it and the thing gives up the ghost, so I am just living with it for now.

ganchan

Reaction score
199,000 here. I just resolved a coolant drip problem that turned out to be the water pump. ($315 parts and labor, plus the cost of a pressure test.) Not too long ago I had to swap out the rear diff for a more lightly-used one. So I'm spending plenty of money, and I'm pretty poor as well. BUT...I like having an Expedition for my extended road trips and camping trips. This one has had so much new stuff put on it in recent years, and that new stuff should be good for years. So as long as I'm spending less than a monthly car payment on a new SUV would cost me, I figure I'm doing all right.

Now if only the door locks and driver-side window were doing their jobs properly .... :rolleyes:

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Door locks and driver window fix are easy, as both parts for repair are in same door. Window motor, or regulator, and electronic control for opening doors is in driver door. My regulator, and electronic locks are also acting up! I think all first editions due to age have these issues.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

John Christopher

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2001 5.4 270K.
Runs great. Had to have a fuel pump put in a few months ago.
Now I think I have the infamous cracked intake or something. Its leaking coolant. I see a little coolant leak onto the ground every time I start it after sitting overnight. I drive it 150-200 miles a week and the level in the reservoir goes down about a quart a week. Mechanic said he couldn't tell if it was the intake or a gasket. Said it was mostly labor so it would probably be smarter to change the intake while he was in there. Said the whole job should be under 700. Between being on a budget, living in an apartment (but I could still change the intake in the parking lot), the age and value of the vehicle, I am not sure what to do. Concerned I make the investment of time and money to fix it and the thing gives up the ghost, so I am just living with it for now.

I would live with the issue for now. Your truck is 17 years old and has 270K miles, other things are going to fail. Using it as an everyday driver putting on 200 miles a week could be a problem. Good Luck.

Joseph Tator

Reaction score
162k here and many issues involving infamous p0171 and P0174 codes. I love the truck and I have too much into it to get rid of it so as said earlier, as long as it’s not as much as a new car payment or as long as it never leaves me stranded, I will keep it till the wheels fall off which I hope is a long long time

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ImWearingPants