Hot panel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HI54

Reaction score
First post. I have a 2005 Expy 3v. I normally don't have passengers in the 3rd row, but this past weekend had 3 adults seat there, the passenger that was seated on the right side(passenger side) noticed there was a lot of heat coming form the interior panel, felt it after about 30 minutes of driving. No check engine light and temp gauge is normal. Drove another 45 minutes with no issues other than a hot panel. This worries me. Any idea's would be appreciated.

46L281GT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Did you have the rear a/c or heat on? That is where the rear unit is

OP
OP
H

HI54

Reaction score
A/C was not on. Don't remember heater being on. Yesterday there was a clicking noise, I removed the cup holder to find the cause of the noise, a white/clear plastic about 3''x 4'' in size was the cause, no clue to what this thing is. Looks like an actuator. Any help is appreciated.

46L281GT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
there are two actuators in there. one for the floor/ceiling switcher and the cold/hot switcher. once you figure out which one it is, get one from the parts store and replace it.

OP
OP
H

HI54

Reaction score
The actuator that is under the cup holder is clicking. Upon doing more research, seems like an easy fix. I don't understand why the panel gets hot though.

46L281GT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
it shouldnt get hot if it is not in use. it could be something as simple as the sun was hitting it for an extended period of time.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Unless there is a control valve in the heater supply lines you will have coolant flowing thru the heater cores anytime the engine is running.
If there is a problem with the plenum (blend doors etc.) then it is possible for heat to be where it normally isn't suppose to be.

OP
OP
H

HI54

Reaction score
Bedrck47, you might be correct. Going to change the clicking actuator, hopefully fixes the hot panel issue.