How bad of job? Which parts? Timing chain...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

johnboneske

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ok, I think I have convinced myself to do the job! I have been looking at rock auto and stuff for parts. I see you can get plastic or cast tensioners, are the plastic ones ok? I am gonna do chains, guides and tensioners. Anything else I should do?

Jennifer Fradella

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ok, I think I have convinced myself to do the job! I have been looking at rock auto and stuff for parts. I see you can get plastic or cast tensioners, are the plastic ones ok? I am gonna do chains, guides and tensioners. Anything else I should do?
He always has good instructional videos.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Boose

2017 Platinum EL
Reaction score
If you're going to do it, do it all. I did my 05 a few years ago. Tensioners, guides, chains, phasers, oil pump, water pump. I also replaced my leaking power steering pump. I did mine as a preventative maintenance, I had no drivability issues other then the noise, the damn thing sounded like a diesel. As I had no codes, I did not replace the VCT solenoids. Depending on how far along the decay your motor is, you may want to add them.

Boose

2017 Platinum EL
Reaction score
I ordered this set:

https://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/enginetech,TS391SD,timing+set,5756

Also ordered a new Water pump, and gaskets for the front along with valve cover gaskets, and the front crank seal. I dont have cam phasers, or the VCT solenoids...its a 2 valve motor. Anything I miss ordering?

I had the oil pressure checked, and it is good still!
Ah... thats right. The oil pump is optional. You're pressure will be fine to the mains and rod bearings. The reason I did the oil pump on the 05 was based on reports that the backplate flexes and some pressure bleeds off at 3000 plus rpm. How many miles do you have?

OP
OP
johnboneske

johnboneske

Full Access Members
Reaction score
202k miles on it, motor runs STRONG besides this, and smooth as silk. I havent driven it more than 100 miles since this problem started, and has been parked for about 5 days. Waiting on parts to arrive...

Boose

2017 Platinum EL
Reaction score
As soon as you pull the timing cover off, you'll be staring at the oil pump. If I was doing that job, I'd put one in. I saw a marked improvement in my gauge when I replaced mine. I only had 110K at the time.

OP
OP
johnboneske

johnboneske

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Got it apart, installed the new guides, tensioners, and chains. The passenger side tensioner was bad, blew the seal out on the "body" of the tensioner. The drivers side was getting ready to fail too. (factory tensioners are plastic!) My new ones came with metal plates to install behind the new tensioners. The worst part of the job so far was getting out the lower power steering bolt. Had to remove the pully, to get the line pressure line off, to get a 6 point socket on the bottom bolt. Took off the oil pan and there isnt any debris in it, and checked the pickup on the oil pump. All is good! Started putting it back together, gonna finish it tomorrow after work...blah!!

Boose

2017 Platinum EL
Reaction score
Great! you'll be plenty pleased when you here it purr silently once again.

OP
OP
johnboneske

johnboneske

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Finished it last night, fired it up and the power steering pump leaked badly! Replaced the pump today. Its all good now. Back together and purrs wonderfully!